Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Possible motorway suicide

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
As I was driving home tonight I was sat in a huge jam.

When I arrived at the 'scene' there was a lady sitting on the edge of a motorway bridge.

We had all been diverted off the motorway onto the slip road, so I could see her very clearly. The police were everywhere including SWAT vans and 2 people were talking to her.

I assume she was wanting to end it all, but how do I find out if she is ok?

I cant stop thinking about it and I prayed all the way home that she would be fine and they would talk her down.

I checked the highways page an hour after I came home and it was still showing there was an incident and therefore delays. There is nothing on there now.

The news pages of BBC dont mention anything either.

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Local news? If she did die then I reckon it would be on your local news. If it doesn't appear, I would assume that she is alright.

I hope.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Bunnie wrote: »
    As I was driving home tonight I was sat in a huge jam.

When I arrived at the 'scene' there was a lady sitting on the edge of a motorway bridge.

We had all been diverted off the motorway onto the slip road, so I could see her very clearly. The police were everywhere including SWAT vans and 2 people were talking to her.

I assume she was wanting to end it all, but how do I find out if she is ok?

I cant stop thinking about it and I prayed all the way home that she would be fine and they would talk her down.

I checked the highways page an hour after I came home and it was still showing there was an incident and therefore delays. There is nothing on there now.

The news pages of BBC dont mention anything either.

SWAT vans. :lol:

I saw somebody wanting to jump from a fly over in Bournemouth a couple of years ago. Turns out alright though. He didn't jump.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I remember someone doing that on the new street rail thingys. He come back over tho.
  • Options
    I doubt it'll be on the news if they managed to talk her down...it might not even be on the news if she dies... it might only be in the local paper. I know it sounds harsh but because this kinda happens all the time they don't tend to report about it on the tv.

I hope she's ok though.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    WELL.

What were the SWAT team doing there?!
  • Options
    Maybe it was a sucide pact and she was looking for her flat mate ?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Stop Women from Attempting to Top themselves.

Oh, not the SWAT I was thinking of. I thought it was the guys who control fly infestations.
  • Options
    aleox wrote: »
    I doubt it'll be on the news if they managed to talk her down...it might not even be on the news if she dies... it might only be in the local paper. I know it sounds harsh but because this kinda happens all the time they don't tend to report about it on the tv.

Sad but true! The bridge over the motorway near our house is really high, and people are always jumping off it. They tend to only report it in really local news (free paper) if anything. A couple of times it's been on the BBC website, but that was because there were other circumstances attached (jumping man hit a lorry and the lorry crashed/jumping woman was released from A&E and told she was fine when clearly she wasn't). Unfortunately straight suicides are way too frequent to be news.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Sad but true! The bridge over the motorway near our house is really high, and people are always jumping off it. They tend to only report it in really local news (free paper) if anything. A couple of times it's been on the BBC website, but that was because there were other circumstances attached (jumping man hit a lorry and the lorry crashed/jumping woman was released from A&E and told she was fine when clearly she wasn't). Unfortunately straight suicides are way too frequent to be news.

Our old junction was terrible. Every other week there was an incident. In fact, the day of the floods (when there wasn't any flooding yet), there was one and t'boy decided to work from home. If he went to work he would've been stuck in Chesterfield overnight.

True story :yes:
  • Options
    If he went to work he would've been stuck in Chesterfield overnight.

True story :yes:

That's terrible; what a lucky escape. I'm glad he got home safely. ;)
  • Options
    Every few months someone threatens to jump off North Bridge in Edinburgh and they have to close the road, which is one of the busiest bus routes in the city, causing all sorts of unnecessary chaos. They usually get them down after a while. Surely there's better ways to kill yourself, without grinding half the city to a halt.
  • Options
    there's a story in the express about an 81year old lady who accidently drove up a motorway the wrong way yesterday.
    Dont know if theyre connected?
  • Options
    my dad was in a taxi in london one time when a woman jumped :no:

apparently he was in the car and there was a cyclist beside him - a woman jumped (from the metal railing things on the bridge or summat) - and landed ON the cyclist.

ended up killing him and she herself survived. :mad: dunno id live with the guilt of that.
    this was 10 years ago tho so its possible she might have tried to top herself and SUCCEED since then :p
  • Options
    soraliah wrote: »
    my dad was in a taxi in london one time when a woman jumped :no:

apparently he was in the car and there was a cyclist beside him - a woman jumped (from the metal railing things on the bridge or summat) - and landed ON the cyclist.

ended up killing him and she herself survived. :mad: dunno id live with the guilt of that.
    this was 10 years ago tho so its possible she might have tried to top herself and SUCCEED since then :p

If that's true, she should have been tried for murder.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    If that's true, she should have been tried for murder.

Manslaughter maybe...

I doubt the intention was to kill the cyclist! :p
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Manslaughter maybe...

I doubt the intention was to kill the cyclist! :p

Can you prove that beyond doubt? ;)

She might have wanted to take the poor sod with her into 'the next life'.
  • Options
    It's one of the worse things in the world to witness someone committing suicide. I witnessed a woman jumping off of the top of a multi storey car park. She didn't die instantly but later in hospital. I can't drive passed the car park now without thinking about it!
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Maybe it was a sucide pact and she was looking for her flat mate ?

You are awful but I do love you :heart::lol:

The worst one was the stupid cow who was trying to throw herself off the Tyne Bridge. The whole city gridlocked and it took me four hours to get home :angry:

Maybe I'm cruel and heartless but I can't stand these sorts of selfish twats. Either jump off the bridge or piss off home, don't just stand around for hours like an attention seeking fool.