Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stye

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I suspect it's to do with the fact I went and got fitted for new contacts on friday and I haven't worn them in ages. Now I've got a stye on the eye I was struggling to get my lens out of - my dance show starts on wednesday and I need to wear contacts because I can't wear glasses and if I can't see I won't be able to dance properly. Everything I can find says I shouldn't wear contacts or eye makeup while I have it - but I need to do both from wednesday-saturday night. I'm not going to wear anything until then but I don't think it will be gone by wednesday. I can't go to the docs so are there any home treatments I can do in the meantime?

Comments

• Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I suspect it's to do with the fact I went and got fitted for new contacts on friday and I haven't worn them in ages. Now I've got a stye on the eye I was struggling to get my lens out of - my dance show starts on wednesday and I need to wear contacts because I can't wear glasses and if I can't see I won't be able to dance properly. Everything I can find says I shouldn't wear contacts or eye makeup while I have it - but I need to do both from wednesday-saturday night. I'm not going to wear anything until then but I don't think it will be gone by wednesday. I can't go to the docs so are there any home treatments I can do in the meantime?
    Go to chemist and get brolene or golden eye OINTMENT.
  • Options
    Stye's clear up on their own. you can use the above ointments but theyre not neccessary.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    Stye's clear up on their own. you can use the above ointments but theyre not neccessary.
    Was going to say that too but coz she wants it gone by a certain time I thought its best to use something coz it might help.
  • Options
    yeah, thats true.
  • Options
    An old wives' tale is to rub a warm gold ring on the stye, sort of roll it over your eyelid. I thought this was rubbish but tried it anyway with my mum's wedding ring when I had a stye, and it did relieve the pressure... so might be worth a go even if you doubt it will work!
  • Options
    It's gotten bigger today :( my mum mentioned the gold ring thing but I said it's just an old wives tale but I want to try anything to get it to go down by wednesday. I put a cucumber slice on it yesterday and it helped the pain abit, but atm I'm just on painkillers. Would warm salt water help?
  • Options
    Brolene eye ointment is a lifesaver if you need it gone quickly. The gold thing seems to work for some people, I find it a bit weird but... if you're willing to give it a go then why not?

Otherwise a saline solution will help it heal and keep it nice and clean. I'd recommend an eyebath method or a warm compress but make sure that everything is clean before you start.

They're usually caused by stress and being rundown, so I also prescribe relaxation and some grapes :thumb:
  • Options
    Good luck in your show, what are you dancing?
  • Options
    Ballet, pointe, tap, freestyle and I'm also making an appearance in the opening as Ariel as there are loads of us dressed as disney characters (the first half is disney themed as it's mostly the little ones) Second half is all musicals, with a few radom songs thrown in. Out of the musicals I'm doing Roxanne from Moulin Rouge for ballet and hand jive for tap from grease! I'm picking my costumes up later so I can't wait to see the Roxanne costume - it's going to be all latina tangoey and red and black. I'm excited for the dress rehersal tomorrow because you get to do it without the audiance but on wednesday I'm going to be crapping myself. I have someone watching me every night too. It's also my 8th and probably my last show :(
  • Options
    Break a leg. Photos?
  • Options
    Had a 9 hour dress rehersal today - one of my costumes isn't even finished! I have to help dress the toddlers which is a nightmare - a big room of kids with stuff everywhere and no one knowing where their stuff is or anything! Real thing starts tomorrow - I'm so scared!
  • Options
    how does ariel dance if shes half fish ?? :confused::confused::p
  • Options
    diddlybop wrote: »
    how does ariel dance if shes half fish ?? :confused::confused::p

Just because :p
  • Options
    My mum always tells me to rub gold on a stye. It usually works... dunno why. Old wives tales hey?
  • Options
    I miss doing dance shows :(
  • Options
    It's going to be my last one because I'm leaving in the summer - been here since I was 3! But I won't miss the stress of it, I've been running round all day getting stuff ready! Not looking forward to the mad rush of dressing 30+ toddlers in the first half.