Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Nosebleeds

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm just getting over a bout of sinusitis, and ever since it started my nose has been bleeding a lot (not a large amount of blood, only a small dribble, but often 10 times a day or more). I've been to the doc about the infection, and mentioned the blood to him, and he wasn't worried, so I'm happy that it's just from blowing my nose more than normal. It's just irritating! The infection has cleared up nicely, but the bleeding remains. :grump:

I've never had nosebleeds, so was wondering if people who do could offer advice on what I could do to calm it down a bit. So far I've tried not blowing it as much, not blowing it in the morning when it's all dried out, and vaseline inside my nostrils - all to no avail!

Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    Did he think it would go away in it's own time? I think you can have it cauterised if it's really bad but from what you said it isn't that kind of nosebleed, and it's not very pleasant anyway.
    I don't know owt else except my sister gets them if there is a sharp change in weather pressure ... not that that helps you at all!
  • Options
    He said he thought it was linked to the infection, and it would clear up as the infection did. I can always go back if it carries on for ages, but it's nothing major, not like when people have those noses that bleed everywhere, I guess I was just hoping there was a simple home remedy I could try to get everything settled back down again.
  • Options
    Cotton wool? At least then you won't KNOW when it's bleeding ;)
  • Options
    You've probably got some blood vessels struggling to heal, which would explain the frequency of them.

I used to be very prone ot nosebleeds and when I get them now I will often have lots in a day because it's a hard place to heal.
  • Options
    Do you get them soldered at all?
  • Options
    lay off the charlie.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    You've probably got some blood vessels struggling to heal, which would explain the frequency of them.

I think you're probably right, cause now and again I get a bit of what looks like scab coming out, which I guess I've inadvertently disturbed, and then it bleeds again.

I'm also a very sneezy person, so even if I don't blow at all, it still gets all disturbed. Annoying.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    lay off the charlie.

Fnar! It's not even funny, cause it's been nearly a month now, and I'm sure that's what people must think!
  • Options
    anti-histhamines for a bit while it's healing to stop you from sneezing?
  • Options
    Not sure if that'd work, tbh. I'm not allergic-y sneezy or owt, just naturally sneezy! It's a family thing.

I'll try surpressing some, and being patient!
  • Options
    can you kind of sneeze through your mouth (a bit spitty and snotty) rather than your nose as that might relieve the pressure that is causing the capiliaries to burst? It might work! :p
  • Options
    Aye, could work! Will have to have many tissues to hand to sneeze into to avoid spraying the guy who works opposite me with spit and slightly bloody snot :flirt:
  • Options
    Maybe he's in to that kind of thing?
    Hope it works for you anyway!
  • Options
    Yeah, talk to your GP about referring you to ENT for cautery.
  • Options
    Ooh err! I thought stuff like that was for people with really ongoing problems?

Anyhoo, I'm happy to report that sneezing through the mouth, oddly enough, seems to be helping! Only had about 5 or 6 episodes today - definite improvement!
  • Options
    I'm quite tempted to ask for my nose to be cauterised. I was given some cream, but it hardly ever works.
  • Options
    Oi I used to go thru spurts of bleeding just as frequently, but they'd be long heavy ones, had to have them cauterized... twice several years later.

Anywho, I find that making sure the inside is moist helps. If you have a humidifier, use that. Also a saline nasal spray helps alot. Sometimes I'd put an an antibiotic cream on it, not that the antibiotic part was any too important, but I knew it would be safe up my nose and it kept it moist. The capilairs had a tendency to break easier on an average/dry nose.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    One child at school has quite bad nosebleeds. He can have 2/3 a week and they are quite bad. The docs have refused to cauterize his nose as 'he may grow out of it'. He's 8 y/o and it is quite distressing for him when he wakes up in the middle of the night covered in blood :|
  • Options
    check your blood pressure.

on the other hand it can be a thin vein near the surface of the sinus. I've heard of doctors lasering them shut, because of people who complain of constant nose bleeds.