Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Earring question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My earring is infected again :( Its on the side I hold the phone to, it must be the culprit :p I'm cleaning and heating and its getting better and all that jazz but its crusting something awful so I was wondering would it be best to take it out on a regular basis and dedrustify or would that just irratate it more? Its well past its healing time, itn nowhere near a fresh or new piece. The piece is bigger than the post so alot gets stuck in there and I can't get it out without taking it out :yum:

Comments

• Options
    What metal is the jewellery? Are you 100% sure it's infected? as infections are actually quite rare.. a lot of people think it's infected when it's just irritated.
  • Options
    titanium and whether its really infected or not doesn't really matter its been like this before and heat solves the problem and infected is easy to write :p. I'm just wondering if taking it out to clean it regularly would irratate it more and therefore have it take longer to heal. Last time it was too soon to take it out to clean it so I didn't bother asking when I went off to whine before ;)
  • Options
    Definitely don't take it out. If it is infected and it starts to close up, it can trap the infection inside the skin which can get nasty. Just keep salt soaking it with the jewellery in it. Oh and use the phone on the other ear!!!! :P
  • Options
    It feels so weird! :p Thanks for the help, I knew you'd have the answer ;)
  • Options
    Hehe no problem!
  • Options
    Sorry to bring this back up, I'll hope you'll read again!

I've had my lobes pierced for probably 15 years now. I know they are uber sensitive. I only wear titanium. Yet for the last couple weeks my right lobe has been itching like a bitch. Its been getting crusty stuff too... no color, so just irratated crusty as oppososed to infected crusty. I did wear silver a month or so back for a wedding... but that was so long ago I can't imagine that to be the problem. Any reason why the same earrings which have held me good for so long have turned on me?
  • Options
    Do you take the jewellery out very often? It could be a piece of crusty that's stuck in the piercing, causing an irritation, perhaps. Or, some dirt trapped on/in the earring... I don't know really, could be lots of things or it could just be random - some piercings do suddenly flare up without much rhyme or reason.
    Again, salt water soaks are your friend. Try giving your earrings a good clean - drop them into boiling water then give 'em a rinse in the salt water.