Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tinned squid

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I b ought some tinned squid in garlic and oil the other day, don't ask me why but now... that's what I have. So, what do I do with it to eat it?

Comments

• Options
    ive bought something similar but with mussels before.
    Ive mixed it in with a pasta sauce so its a seafood pasta meal, nummy! or chuck it in a stirfry?
  • Options
    Might be too late, but nevermind. Is the squid to be pan fried or how will you cook/heat it? I've never seen tinned squid before!

I'd do it with saffron rice, it's really good with garlic and with seafood too from all the recipes I've read. My husband LOVES squid and I always pan fry it (takes less than 2 minutes or it goes to shit) and then serve it with this rice.

Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a shallow pan, add a large pinch of paprika and two cloves of garlic finely chopped or crushed. As the garlic starts to brown, add 500g rice (preferably risotto/paella rice but long grain works too) and stir-fry for a minute or two so it's all combined. Make up 2 pints of the stock of your choice along with a large pinch of salt and ground black pepper as you prefer, add the saffron strands at this point - I usually just use a big pinch of them but it's up to you. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and cook, uncovered, without stirring for 8-10 minutes. Reduce the heat again and cook for another 5 minutes. Test to check if it tastes right, if it does then serve it up with your squid. I usually serve cauliflower and/or green beans but veg etc is up to you.
  • Options
    I fried it (in a pan, is there another way of frying?) for about 3mins, served on toast, was nice.
  • Options
    I ate LOADS of Squid and Seafood in general, in Thailand. I love the stuff.

I find it goes really well either on it's own or with other seafood in fried rice or noodle soup.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I fried it (in a pan, is there another way of frying?) for about 3mins, served on toast, was nice.

Nah, though you can "fry" (of sorts) it in a casserole dish which I sometimes do so I can just serve it in that.

Glad it was good - gonna buy it again?
  • Options
    it was lush. I can do risotto, so I'll give your recipe a bash next time.
  • Options
    To me squid tastes like rubber :yuck:
  • Options
    This squid wasn't rubbery at all, only 99p from lidl, try it.