Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Seeing a psychiatrist for the first time...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
... on tuesday. And I'm really really scared. To cut a very long short, some of which some people will have read about before, I've had problems with self harm and depression for about 6 years, I had a really good spell for about 8 months until december just gone and then I've not so slowly deterioated. I haven't been on medication for 18-24 months I can't quite remember and I haven't been in therapy for 3 years. And then it was just counsellor at a youth counselling organisation type palce, for about 6 months, once a week. So now I'm in France doing the second part of my year abroad and there are no english speaking cousellors here at all, but I found an english speaking psychiatrist and have got the appointment booked. Problem is I'm fucking terrified. My friends have lost all hope with me and I know I need to go but I'm so scared of what they might say and things like that. So basically I need some encourgement and stories of wonderful psychiatrists. Thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    Don't really have anything more helpful to say than good luck, and I hope it works out for you :)
    :heart:
  • Options
    Don't be scared, but I don't really have much to add. Good luck poppet, hope it works out.
  • Options
    it will be ok. i'm so proud of you :heart:
  • Options
    The first one i saw when i was 20 was horrible, but it was partyl my fault for not being honest and open.
    I saw a fantastic one just before xmas and she made it really easy to talk to her and sorted out the help i need. i dont see her regularly, only if needed.

Dont be scared, and be as honest as you can, coz theyre not mind readers.
  • Options
    I can only echo what Sikorah said and wish you luck. Well done for making the step. xx
  • Options
    *hugs*

I remember you from when I first joined the site back in 2002 and we would post in the self-harm and depression thread and you were always really supportive and helpful to me :)

I really hope it goes well for you with the psychiatrist, my own experience of them is quite mixed but there are some good ones out there. As you have found them yourself and want their help this is a good basis for things rather than being made to go which obviously makes a big difference to how you feel about them.

Good luck :)
  • Options
  • Options
    I have seen many amazing psych's so don't worry. I generally find that the more qualified the doctors are the better they are at their jobs and understanding i.e. GP's are crap, psych's are good.

He/she will just ask you questions about your health, your thoughts and moods, a little bit about your history and current situation. Basically just get a picture of you and your life and then decide what would be most helpful. They might suggest changing or increasing your meds (please be aware that it is complete your choice to any treatment so don't feel forced if you need more time to consider and are not comfortable with meds) or talking therapies.

They are there to help you and be non judgemental. Don't worry - you won't be getting sectioned or anything like that! If there is anything in particular you might want to say or ask, perhaps right it down before hand so you don't forget and try and be clear if there is anything in particular you feel you need.

I see no reason why you can't make a full recovery from all this :) PM me if you need and advice/support xxxx
  • Options
    Hello all! Just wanted to say thank you very much for your kind words, I had the appointment today and it went really well, the psychiatrist is really nice, her english is flawless and she's booked me in again next week and given me a prescription. Am very glad I went.
  • Options
    That's fantastic :) well done you :thumb:
  • Options
    So glad it went well for you :) Well done :)
  • Options
    That's great news. x