Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

anything that can be done to stop the ID cards sytem at all?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
general feeling, i don't need to prove my existence to the government to live here, i was born here - unless im a suspect of course

Comments

• Options
    Of course you're a suspect, you ask too many questions! Now get your ID card out, there's a good lad.
  • Options
    I live in hope that this dreadful white elephant will be ditched. Give it a few years. This is what I predict will happen. We know that the next General Election is unlikely to happen before 2010. We also know that Labour is unlikely to win it. We will probably have a hung parliament for the first time in many years. In order to stay in power, Labour will have to align itself with other parties - the LibDems are the main contenders. The LibDems will impose conditions for the coalition, and one of those will probably be the scrapping of the ID card scheme. They will have no choice but to do this, knowing that the LibDems could easily join the Tories, who also want the scheme abandoned.

We saw signs of this weakness today. The Home Secretary has announced that the scheme was being delayed by 2 years. Passports wouldn't be handed out with ID cards until 2012 instead and even then, the Government lies, it will still be "voluntary". Yet students who are applying for loans for the first time will have to get an ID card in the year 2010. Would you like to square this one, Jacqui? Perhaps you'd like to tell Gordon to stop dithering and scrap this scheme once and for all? Or is your job more important to you than principles?
  • Options
    yeh but thats across as a sly way of making it part of life witohut it even being so, it's buttering people up
  • Options
    Just send the postcard virus to their servers.
  • Options
    What's with the new proposals? If you have a passport you don't need an ID card? But you need one or the other?

Not much of an improvement...

I hear that foreign nationals living here will be forced to have an ID card within a year. I guess I'll be one of those (or is it non-EU only)?

I really don't get that, seeing as foreign nationals will already have a passport.
  • Options
    Non-EU only Aladdin, you'll be fine.

For now.

Now repeat after me: "Papieren bitte"
  • Options
    They won't work. for them to be successful they need something like 99% success rate.

There's enough people who won't get one under any circumstance for them to be an expensive farce.

It's like the poll tax, 90% paid - it was the 10% who didn't which wrecked it.
  • Options
    Now repeat after me: "Papieren bitte"
    What does that mean?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    What does that mean?

Papers please.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    What does that mean?

What Shimmer said.

You know enough about history to understand the connotation.
  • Options
    did they say "bitte" afterwards.....?
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »

yeh they were pretty polite about their authoritarianism

random thing is that the UK scheme is also a pilot for the EU as a whole, for it's data sharing promotion
  • Options
    anything that can be done to stop the ID cards sytem at all?

You could vote Tory - "Ewwww! no, never!" :yuck:
  • Options
    "You can't go around making people prove they are who they say they are, that's no way to live and I'm not gonna go along with it............Don't you see, there isn't a test that's been created that a smart man can't find his way around."

- Joseph Sisko, Deep Space Nine, back in 1996.
  • Options
    I know the government seem desperate to make everyone have an ID card, but I don't really see it happening. They haven't suggested one reason for them that makes sense, and in the last few years I haven't heard them suggest any reason at all. Everybody I know is against them to the point where they would have to be physically forced to provide the information needed. If everybody refused to have one, the government couldn't force them.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Whowhere wrote: »

Of course they did, the party had an image to maintain.

Just as ours do.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    You could vote Tory - "Ewwww! no, never!" :yuck:

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

But I thought that they no longer eat puppies? :confused: