Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

is Iraq a terrosist risk

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I here people saying we should be in Iraq because it helps fight terrorism. but I'm not aware of iraq being the source of terrorism, perhaps afganistan is the place of terrorism but with americas campaingn sadam+osama bin laden (rather than keep them as the seperate entities they are) we probably even think nowadays that the gaza strip war is a source of terrorism. should we really be in Iraq ? :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    Its a catch 22, fight in iraq, people will want to bomb us, then we fight harder to try and root out the terrorists, which makes them want to fight harder.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Its a catch 22, fight in iraq, people will want to bomb us, then we fight harder to try and root out the terrorists, which makes them want to fight harder.

Of course Iraq was not a terrorist theat before the invasion, we created that mess.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Of course Iraq was not a terrorist theat before the invasion, we created that mess.

thats what I am saying, as far as I know Iraq has NEVER been a source of terrorism they have never bombed us outside of Iraq so what the hec are we doing there. we went to war against afganistan (eventually) because the harboured osama bin laden that attaked outside of afganistan, but on a whim we ran off to Iraq and spend years misteriously missing sadams palace everytime we fired missiles at it
  • Options
    Iran has showed obvious signs of danger but what have we done ? NOTHING

Iraq did nothing and we moved in makes you wonder, we can probably over run iran quite easily before they do have nuclear weapons
  • Options
    it feels refreshing to find your way through all the propaganda and come out the other side, doesn't it.
    Iraq did nothing and we moved in makes you wonder, we can probably over run iran quite easily before they do have nuclear weapon

Apart from a total disregard for humanity, international law, and basic understanding of coherent foreign policy, thats a great idea - only problem would be that silly little guerilla was that would ensue where every nutty fatwah in the world will be issued, and large sections of the muslim world will reign down the kind of uncoordinated random hell we have seem in iraq - just much more of it in greater profusion.

Also, they would quite logically (in their eyes) be prime to use these weapons in combat.
  • Options
    There are terrorists organisations near to Iraq but nothing we should be seriously concerned about.

I mean I'm a hippy and think that terrorists really don't do enough damage to justify a massive war. The IRA was different, that was because we were involved in very shady practices and it's been us withdrawing that's slowed down terrorism.

Random psychopathic extremists? Rare enough not to care. Sorry if this offends anyone but I've probably got more chance of being hit by lightening and yet you don't see spending billions protecting myself against lightening...

...and if you measure terrorism, have we really stopped it? Overthrown some bad regimes, but has the grassroots foundations stopped? If anything it will be worse now than ever.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yeah man, Iraq with its huge resources and money funding the Mujadeen and Taliban, arming them and training them and all that shit.

Oh, right, that was the CIA.

Nevermind.
  • Options
    thats what I am saying, as far as I know Iraq has NEVER been a source of terrorism they have never bombed us outside of Iraq so what the hec are we doing there. we went to war against afganistan (eventually) because the harboured osama bin laden that attaked outside of afganistan, but on a whim we ran off to Iraq and spend years misteriously missing sadams palace everytime we fired missiles at it

Saddam was secular, not fanatical, and kept the fanatical elements in Iraq in check; so you're right, the idea of terrorist groups using Iraq as some kind of hub during his reign is ridiculous. Pity the same can't be said about Blair...
  • Options
    Iraq was the best thing we had against extreme muzzys. They hated Sadman cos Baghdad was full of bars and nightclubs. Iraq was the most westernised place in the Arab world.
    The decision to invade Iraq was decided long before 911. All part of the new American century where America would have strategic military bases all over the middle east. Iran is surrounded. If you believe America is pulling out of Iraq anytime soon ...dream on ...they are there for many years to come ...they are in the process of building super fortresses right now.