Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

dissertation block

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i just.. i just cant do it :(
i know its noone elses fault but my own, but ive left it way too late and now i just cant do it.

im sitting here crying because i just cant make myself write anything and im very much in panic that im not going to get it done :(

just the question itself is starting to become stale and im sitting here wondering if its even POSSIBLE to write the allocated amount of words on it

(basically its on Tim Burton and how his films can be considered unique, and how they compare to other gothic films)

in my head, i can think of stuff i can write about.. but on paper.. its just NOT happening.
i dont want to fail :crying: but i really see this happening if i dont do something SOON.

im going to go see my tutor in about an hour and talk to her about it, but i really dont see as how she can help me because ive left it so long. plus ill probably just start crying and that wont help anything.

i dont really know what anyone on here can do, but i just thought id share

as soon as i stop crying i get another burst of demotivation and it all starts over again :( god i dont want my mate to get home from her meeting cuz shell just make me even worse
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Right.

Step One.

A blank piece of paper and a pretty coloured pen.

Doodle on it, and kind of spider diagram some of the ideas, thoughts, bits of films that need to go into it. As soon as you've got something down life will get easier.

The pretty pen is absolutley essential, this doesn't work in black biro!
  • Options
    thanks :) ive got a pretty purple pen that will do just the job i think

id never thought of doing a spider diagram - thanks for the idea. im hoping itll do me some good
  • Options
    then once you've got all your ideas on a spider diagram, what i'd do is turn that into a proper step by step plan - what you want to say first, then what idea next and so on. once you've got a step by step plan of what you want to say in which bit of your dissertation, look at the sources you're using, where you're getting the info from etc for each section and write that next to it.

then you'll have something to work through and can cross off each section when its done.

i guess one of the most important things though is to stop thinking that you cant do it and start thinking that you can. i know as soon as i start thinking i cant do it i go round and round in cirlces - dont get anything done, feel worse for not getting anything done, then cos i havent done anything, i think i cant do it. so try and be positive and get an action plan sorted - what to do when and how long to spend on it.

good luck!
  • Options
    In total agreement about the pretty spider diagram. Totally worked for me. A few weeks ago I was screeching and panicking because I hadn't done anything. I sat down the other day after reading lots of Wikipedia articles to get a general idea and wrote a Who, What, Where, Why and How spider diagrams (I'm working on a specific event however) and I ended up surprising myself by running out of room. I'm now working on my contents page and my chapter breakdown and managed to write over 1,500 words on my literature review today after two days ago knowing nothing.

Think about it this way. Thousands of students do it every year. If they can do it then YOU can do it.
    X
    :)
  • Options
    I agree with the above. I've been there too! I know that feeling of feeling of being so overwhelmed by what you have to do that nothing actually comes out of your head. As suggested above it's all about telling yourself YOU CAN do it!
    Get your thoughts down on paper. I agree a spidergram is a great way to start - have you heard of mind mapping? Some colleges/uni's have software that you can use in the same way, just on computer instead of paper.
    I am about to start my next assignment...a presentation for wednesday...see we all leave it til the last minute!!lol but I know I will get it done...I HAVE to!
    I hope your essay is going or went well (depending on when your hand in is/was.
  • Options
    Break it down into small managable chuncks. Work out how many words you are going to use per chapter and then how many per section within each chapter. Divide the words by the number of days you have to do it, allowing a few days for editing and printing and binding etc. Then if you see you only need to write say one or two thousand words per day to get it finished then it should seem more do able than thinking of the total word count to go.
  • Options
    Reaaally good advice here. Just wanted to say good luck with it, it's awful when you need to really knuckle down with a time limit looming large BUT you can do it! :)
  • Options
    thanks for everyones help and advice!!

just thought id let everyone know that im 'almost' finished :yes:

im actually over the word amount, but still have to write my conclusion and a few bits and bobs in the middle.

oh and still have to do a 300 word abstract and do my footnotes and referencing. so hoopefully ill get it done by late tonight. :)

i emailed the thing to my dad last night though to see if he has any tips to improve it or things i could add - and he still hasnt got back to me. i phoned him before and apparently he's been 'working on it' from early this morning :eek: god knows what he's doing. i know I certainly didnt ask him to rewrite anything. but anywho. twill be interesting
  • Options
    Are you a film student by any chance?
  • Options
    howd u guess :p

yeah i am :)
  • Options
    what course is it?

I'm doing Tv and Media, currently on a 3 rd year ba hons.