Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Military uniforms? Oh, you can't wear those!

Says the Beeb: "Gordon Brown has condemned reports that RAF personnel at a Cambridgeshire base were advised not to wear uniform in public for fear of verbal abuse. He said armed forces members should be 'encouraged to wear their uniform in public and have the respect and gratitude of the British people'. The decision not to wear uniform was taken by the station commander at RAF Wittering near Peterborough. Defence minister Derek Twigg blamed 'a tiny minority' for the abuse." Click here for more...

Personally, I don't believe that Gordon Brown's condemnation of this is genuinely heartfelt. His record over the years shows that the military is usually one of the last things on his mind, and I doubt that this old leopard has changed his spots. Nonetheless, he is correct. It is disgraceful that members of the military, who have been busy enough over these last few years, receive abuse from people who are against the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. What a shame that this "tiny minority" of morons won't take out their frustration on the politicians who sent them there in the first place.

Mind you, I live in hope that some US student will tell the war-hungry cunt who started both wars what we all think of him - see this story.

Over to you, ladies and gentlemen...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Uniforms have been discouraged/banned in the UK for years because of N.I. I think politicians should be encouraged to walk around a lot more...especially in downtown Basra, Helmand, Falls Rd to show empathy with the troops :yes:
  • Options
    Well, that's hardly the same thing, is it? In Northern Ireland, they were effectively in a war zone. Walking around in military uniforms there when off-duty would have just been provocative in the extreme. No such conflict takes place in the UK - so why should they be given abuse when they do wear them?

However, pretty much all politicians could do with getting out more. If Jacqui Smith's police protection was taken away, the police would get as large a pay rise as they wanted and a lot more!
  • Options
    Well it's a sad state of affairs that it's necessary, but I don't blame them for giving the advice. Of course RAF members shouldn't have to put up with it, but then people shouldn't have to be careful about being robbed either, but that doesn't mean that it's wrong to advise people to put locks on their doors.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Well, that's hardly the same thing, is it? In Northern Ireland, they were effectively in a war zone. Walking around in military uniforms there when off-duty would have just been provocative in the extreme. No such conflict takes place in the UK - so why should they be given abuse when they do wear them?

Northern Ireland is part of the UK....
  • Options
    Vietnam, anyone?

I'm studying it at the moment and the soldiers coming back from Vietnam were often warned not to wear their uniforms because people would give them abuse for it.

As far as I can see, Iraq is exactly the same. Are we learning from history? Of course not. That would be what intelligent people do. God knows we can't have one of them in power.

And personally, I wouldn't describe Blair as a war-hungry cunt. To my mind, that'd be Bush. Blair's just the dumb little lapdog who was too much of a wimp to do anything but support his big bully of a friend.

Oh, for a good prime minister... will it ever happen...
  • Options
    uniforms have been discouraged for wearing for day to day lives because when at home, you ar a civilian, not a serving member on duty so apart from military do's you shouldn't really wear them

the people who had a go are jus idiots since the armed forces ae apolitical in this country, which is a good thing otherwise you land up with the situation of military coups in many countries
  • Options
    uniforms have been discouraged for wearing for day to day lives because when at home, you ar a civilian, not a serving member on duty so apart from military do's you shouldn't really wear them

No your not a civilian when not on duty. You may not be on duty, but at all times, at leave, at home, you are a serving member of HM Forces and are bound by military law. Uniforms were discouraged for the security situation.
  • Options
    No your not a civilian when not on duty. You may not be on duty, but at all times, at leave, at home, you are a serving member of HM Forces and are bound by military law. Uniforms were discouraged for the security situation.

yeh but that's just being pedantic

well yeh, but you're off duty - would you expect police to wear uniform off duty

i don't think they should wear uniform on leave, apart from for formal do's BUT at the same time people shouldn't have a go at the army/RAF/Navy in the sense of jeering, though it would be perfectly reasonable to express your views of the military privately, not publically - that's what parliament is for since it is them who control the army as a whole
  • Options
    yeh but that's just being pedantic

well yeh, but you're off duty - would you expect police to wear uniform off duty

i don't think they should wear uniform on leave, apart from for formal do's BUT at the same time people shouldn't have a go at the army/RAF/Navy in the sense of jeering, though it would be perfectly reasonable to express your views of the military privately, not publically - that's what parliament is for since it is them who control the army as a whole

I dont think its just wearing the uniform on weekends off and things, its more to do with people poping into town during lunch, or stright from training,
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    I dont think its just wearing the uniform on weekends off and things, its more to do with people poping into town during lunch, or stright from training,

well it isn't encouraged but still there's nothing inherently wrong in the activity and people have no right to have a go at them (out of stupidity)
  • Options
    Northern Ireland is part of the UK....
    What I meant to say was mainland UK.
    Pringle wrote: »
    I'm studying [Vietnam] at the moment and the soldiers coming back from Vietnam were often warned not to wear their uniforms because people would give them abuse for it. As far as I can see, Iraq is exactly the same. Are we learning from history? Of course not.
    As normal, the politicians who sent them there are still being allowed to get away with it.
    And personally, I wouldn't describe Blair as a war-hungry cunt. To my mind, that'd be Bush. Blair's just the dumb little lapdog who was too much of a wimp to do anything but support his big bully of a friend.
    Anyone who takes Britain to war at least five times in ten years deserves to be called a warmongering cunt.