Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

art portfolio

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've got an interview for an Art foundation course in a couple of weeks. Been asked to take a portfolio of art work - should I just take all the a-level work I've done or just take the best?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Did they not send you guidelines on what they wanted you to take?

When I worked at a University I know we had Art Foundation guidelines for those invited to interview, with an A4 page in there about what we were expecting the portfolio to contain. If they haven't specified, ring them up and ask what they are expecting, that way you can make sure you have everything they want to see.
  • Options
    It's at a further education college, not a University, so they might be more leniant in whats in the portfolio?
  • Options
    Well the best way to find out would still be to ring up and ask them, I would say.
  • Options
    Is it a fine art course? Never done a fine art folio so not sure if theres any correct way to go about it. If you can get any advice from the college as already mentioned then do that. If not I would recommend against simply taking all and any work you've done. Your folio is a reflection on you, taking any dog-eared or 'half assed' work is not the best idea. However some places may also like to see workings and sketches not only pristine finished pieces to gage your skills or thought process. Have a good number of pieces which reflect your ability but remember quality not quantity, masses of just ok work can get boring to look through. Have a reason for putting it in your folio rather than doing it because its there. A varied selection of work would be a good idea, not all simply still life ect, this depends on the coures though. Every place tends to have certain qualitys they may expect to see from a folio, just be confident with the work you've chosen and know how to discuss what you present. A good tip is to start and finish with some of what you feel are your 'stronger' pieces to begin and end on a high note. Your best course of action is to first inquire if they have a folio guideline.
  • Options
    i did the foundation course, and its so much fun.
    for the portfolio i included mainly stuff from A levels as that was better. i did product design and fine art, and also had some personal photography work which went down well. that might be good for you actually, to show enthusiasm and commitment to art, do extra stuff. In the interview, the main thing to say is, i want to do this course to gain understanding of the subject and access to university. -then give a big cheesy smile!
    take as much stuff as you can and be prepared for questions about your work. hope it goes well. :)