Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

putting green tax money into green projects

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I started a petition to the PM asking that the money we are robbed of in the name of global warming actually be put into ecological projects such as transport and power generation. This mainly targets the 10 £ tax per flight and the charges for entering london.

The petition is here:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/green--tax/

and before people come flaming me saying that taxes need collecting etc and the money has to come from somewhere and its normal that not all the money is collected for the purpose stated (although thats unfair anyhow) if the goverment want more all they have to do is raise VAT or something instead of being sneeky and taking advantage of our awarness to global warming

Comments

• Options
    I started a petition to the PM asking that the money we are robbed of in the name of global warming actually be put into ecological projects such as transport and power generation. This mainly targets the 10 £ tax per flight and the charges for entering london.

The petition is here:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/green--tax/

and before people come flaming me saying that taxes need collecting etc and the money has to come from somewhere and its normal that not all the money is collected for the purpose stated (although thats unfair anyhow) if the goverment want more all they have to do is raise VAT or something instead of being sneeky and taking advantage of our awarness to global warming

SP ..i agree with you ...green taxes are a con.
  • Options
    Green taxes are a modern day con. Where everyone else sees the words "climate change", politicians see the words "money to be made". Green taxes are wrong and should all be abolished.
  • Options
    green taxes are a sll idea becuase if they did hange behaviour signifigantly as the government says, then the government would make no money from them
  • Options
    If they were used exclusively for, say, bringing down the cost of rail travel they would be an excellent idea.

I agree that any tax that is meant to exist to target a specific issue should be used for tackling the problems created by that issue.
  • Options
    well if they say thats the 10 £ is becuase planes polute then I want to see green power stations put up with that money (35 Billion a year) to counteract the polution, if they can't do that then they should take the tax back and refund us.
  • Options
    green taxes are a sll idea becuase if they did hange behaviour signifigantly as the government says, then the government would make no money from them
    Indeed. Fuel carries a criminally high rate of tax in this country, (highway robbery, literally!) but you don't see people abandoning their cars and jumping on the nearest bus, do you?
  • Options
    The troubles with actually directing money raised from a specific tax into a specific project is

a) it costs a lot more to administer
    b) reduces flexibility
    c) if the tax works and people change there ways the amount of money going into to green schemes would fall drastically
  • Options

Climate Change Levy has worked rather well, even in it's early days we noticed a significant change in behaviour (admittedly we coupled the levy with a tax rebate for energy efficient equipment)
  • Options
    Green taxes are just another bandwagon to jump on and another popular way of raising extra (not alternative) taxes by the government. It they were really serious, then they wouldn't be targetting individual users without targetting the big companies first. The problem with supermarkets isn't people using carrier bags, or people buying bottled water, it's the whole concept of the supermarket in the first place, with its excessive packaging and transporting things uneccesarily from ones side of the world, where it's caught, to the other side of the world for breadcrumbing, and back to the UK for packaging and sale.
  • Options
    well if they say thats the 10 £ is becuase planes polute then I want to see green power stations put up with that money (35 Billion a year) to counteract the polution, if they can't do that then they should take the tax back and refund us.
    If planes were the only way to travel around (specially in the UK and to many parts of the Continent) and travel was of the upmost importance for everyone you could argue that the tax is unfair. But the fact remains that we fly far too often to destinations that are perfectly well served by other means of transportation. Man-made pollution and climate change is very real and a very serious threat to us all, and we need to tackle it and cut down on emissions. If increasing the cost of air travel reduces the number of air passengers, I'm all for it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    If planes were the only way to travel around (specially in the UK and to many parts of the Continent) and travel was of the upmost importance for everyone you could argue that the tax is unfair. But the fact remains that we fly far too often to destinations that are perfectly well served by other means of transportation. Man-made pollution and climate change is very real and a very serious threat to us all, and we need to tackle it and cut down on emissions. If increasing the cost of air travel reduces the number of air passengers, I'm all for it.

so its right that my dad has to pay 20 £ to the goverment when he rushes off to italy to look after his mum that suddenly fell ill, its not like he wanted to go it was damn nuisance actually.

I don't mind the tax much what I mind is yes you are right planes and also all other means of transport (minus my bycicle) polute and its time especially with these so called green taxes to become real green taxes as in the money actually be used for green power stations not on damn ways that pollute as well
  • Options
    The troubles with actually directing money raised from a specific tax into a specific project is

a) it costs a lot more to administer
    b) reduces flexibility
    c) if the tax works and people change there ways the amount of money going into to green schemes would fall drastically

the goverment are collecting between 30 and 40 Billion pounds a year I bet even one years worth used for its specified purpose would make a huge difference even if it was half it would be huge sums
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    If increasing the cost of air travel reduces the number of air passengers, I'm all for it.
    bUT a Tenner isn't reducing flights mate. The reality is ...we is building bigger and bigger airports ...building more and more planes ...encouring more and more flights.
  • Options
    precisely the "green tax" is only getting money to be used for the wrong things
  • Options
    precisely the "green tax" is only getting money to be used for the wrong things
    As i said ...i agree with you here ...we is being conned.