Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Suppliments for fitness and weight loss?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm about to start using a gym with the intention of losing an inch or 3 of lard from my waist and gain fitness.

I know I can only acheive my goals by combining cardio work with a sensible diet, but are there any suppliments I can use in conjunction with those which might help?

Comments

• Options
    If you're just starting out, most newbies can make easy gains with only proper nutrition needing to be at the back of the mind. I would recommend a quality multivitamin though, and a protein shake only if you have difficulty getting enough lean protein in your diet - protein shakes aren't the be all and end all, just see it as an easy protein source.
  • Options
    Cheers - but I thought protein shakes were for muscle building?
  • Options
    Like I said, see them as a convinient source of protein. Are you following a cardio only programme? Cardio tends to make you a smaller version of what you are now (I learned that the hard way) and depending on the type of intensity you choose, different intensities will burn off more fat than others. I'd recommend you do some form of resistance training, it doesn't have to be training with weights.
  • Options
    I would avoid using supplements without consulting your doctor first.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Like I said, see them as a convinient source of protein. Are you following a cardio only programme? Cardio tends to make you a smaller version of what you are now (I learned that the hard way) and depending on the type of intensity you choose, different intensities will burn off more fat than others. I'd recommend you do some form of resistance training, it doesn't have to be training with weights.

Cheers for that - I've been given a cardio programme which involves the treadmill, rower, cross trainer etc as well as a circuit training set too, around 20 reps on a manageable weight for each muscle. The sports centre has a bar which sells one-shot Promax protein shakes for about £2 so I'll just quaff one after a session.
  • Options
    I know a lot buddies of mine that take those shakes before a workout and they really believe in them. Supplements for working out? I feel that ginseng is a good herb for extra stamina. You can buys that herb just about anywhere. Proper dieting is crucial for the best results. Stay away from the fast food. Eat foods higher in natural protein, grain. I hope that helps. :yippe: