Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Boots permanent Straightening kit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone permanently straightened their hair? I've seen these kits in Boots which costs £10.

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1072486&classificationid=1042646

Has anyone used it, or a similar product?

I do have straight hair, but unless I blow dry and straighten it, it's a bit kinky and annoying. It would be good to just have perfectly straight hair without the effort but I don't want to wreck my hair with chemicals.

Comments

• Options
    I don't know a lot about it, personally have mad curls and just leave them be.

From the description though it sounds rather like it's aimed at people with curly or wavy hair and making it straighter, rather than making naturally straight hair poker straight.
  • Options
    One of my friends used it a while ago, and said it was ok. She naturally has hair that's a bit wavy, and after using it it was a lot straighter, but not dead straight - there were still a few kinks.

I wouldn't be expecting miracles.
  • Options
    I have ridiculously curly hair before straightening (I look like John McEnroe after a shower) so I've looked into a bunch of these things. They're basically for relaxing curls/waves, not so much straightening. At least not the kind of straightening you get from GHD's.
  • Options
    I was going to do it once, but loads of people told me not to. As Kiezo said, it's a relaxer and they are usually aimed at people with really tight curls or afro/frizzy hair types. They also really dry your hair out and can lead to your hair breaking (but straightening can also do the latter).

There are a few salon treatments that will give you poker straight hair but are insanely expensive and not all salons offer them.
  • Options
    My best mate has very curly hair, and his would be almost shoulder length when it's completely straight. Our hairdresser would chemically straighten his once every 4-6 weeks at a cost of about £25, including a trim, which isn't too bad really. He uses the Tresemme moisture rich shampoo every 2-3 days when washing his hair, so it doesn't dry out. His hair doesn't go poker straight, it's still a bit wavy, but it saves him an awful lot of time, as he only has to run the straighteners through it quickly when styling it.
  • Options
    I doubt it was a chemical straighten he'd be getting for £25, probably a curl relaxing treatment like X-Tenso (which is basically the professional equvalent of the product in the OP). Chemical straightens tend to cost upward of a few hundred pounds.
  • Options
    If you do decide to buy it let me know how you get on as if its any good i wouldn't mind giving it a go.
  • Options
    I would stay away from all things like this.
    A mate of mine went to her hairdressers to get this done professionally and they did a test beforehand. Turns out the test showed up that if she had gone ahead and have it permantly straightened all her hair would have fallen out . . . . . and that was professional.

I'm pretty sure the home kits aren't as strong, but I still wouldn't risk it. Anything like that is terribly bad for your hair. OK it might be straight (if it works) but it will be dry and skanky. Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole if I were you!
  • Options
    The hair dressers just told me to buy a perm and put that on and brush it straight while its on.

Works for me :D
  • Options
    Hi,

I have very thick and pretty much fizzy hair. I was wondering, does anyone one know if the Boots Home Straightener Kit will let me have semi-wavy hair or is dead straight the only style I can accomplish by using it?
  • Options
    YoFreddy wrote: »
    Hi,

I have very thick and pretty much fizzy hair. I was wondering, does anyone one know if the Boots Home Straightener Kit will let me have semi-wavy hair or is dead straight the only style I can accomplish by using it?

It doesn't give you "dead straight" hair, it only relaxes the curls meaning it's easier to blow dry straight and to straighten with irons.