Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bleach anyone?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just wondered if anyone else on here has issues with misusing bleach? I am finding it harder and harder to handle issues around this. I regularly wash with it, my face is peeling because of it and I ingest it in fairly small quantities but it's becoming more and more often. Plus using it internally with a syringe. I'm becoming a bit obsessed about it having started doing this last April.

Does anyone else on here have experience of this?

Do you have any advice?

I'm just feeling quite isolated at the moment by it all and I'm depressed.

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    i dont have any advice other than you need to go and get some help about this, its not good and probably not worth looking into the effects of it.

go see someone.

hope u feel better soon
  • Options
    I have once ingested a very small amount of bleach, but it wss just one occasion.

Are you hoping to acheive anything other than wrecking your insides??

Why are you washin with it? self-harm? germ phobia?

Have you spoke to anyone about it, because i really think you should.
    You're going to cause yourself long lasting damage, that one day you might wish you hadnt done.
  • Options
    Thanks bunnie.

I've told one of my psychiatrists. I'm moisturising more now to try to help my skin. I just feel really isolated. I think I want to find a reformed bleacher on here to tell me it'll all be alright even though I know deep down it never will be.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    Are you hoping to acheive anything other than wrecking your insides??

Why are you washin with it? self-harm? germ phobia?
    I feel dirty, not like germs but on a deeper level. I know really that no amount of bleach will make it go away but for now it's how I'm coping.
  • Options
    You may not find a 'reformed bleacher' but plenty of people have beaten self-harming/self-destructive behaviours, with time.
  • Options
    could you try using something that was made for using on yourself?? an anti-septic skin cleanser or something like that?
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess it's similar to self-harm. I've not had much success in overcoming that either although I do find it comforting on here reading about other people's s/h problems as it makes me feel like less of a freak and less alone with it.
  • Options
    you are certainly not alone with it, or a freak. theres loads of people out there struggling.
    Ever been on www.recoveryourlife.co.uk? its really very good.

If you're feeling dirty, theres probably stuff going on that you need to talk to someone about.

Maybe instead of using bleach, use an anti-bacterial handwash, or TCP/Dettol, or if you feel like it has to be stronger hydrogen peroxide is cheap and kills everything-and it can be used on people. itd be better than bleach which is going to damage you.
  • Options
    Thanks Sikorah :)
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear you're having a tough time.

Just to say, be very careful using an alternative to bleach - hydrogen peroxide may not be the worst chemical out there but it oxidises your skin and would still play havoc with your insides.

I promise not to give you a health lecture beyond that. You know where I am if you need to talk. Not living in Camden any more but still around the area a lot.
  • Options
    Thanks piccolo :)
  • Options
    :( I wish I could just give you a hug sometimes RG :heart::(
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I think I want to find a reformed bleacher on here to tell me it'll all be alright even though I know deep down it never will be.

I think you know deep down inside - even further down than all that doubt - that it will be alright in the end and i promise you that it will be if you want it to.

But you need to take some baby steps yourself - moisturising is really good - you should make sure that you do it every day. Also try diluting it, if your using it neat then maybe just half and half to start with and then a little bit more as time goes on...

Thats the main thing I can think of for the moment. But i don't think that abusing yourself with bleach is all that uncommon at all so please don't feel like your the only one.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies and suggestions.