Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

People complaining about weight loss/gain

I have a friend, who like me is trying to lose some weight, she is quite a big girl, and while often ok with her self, will have the occasional im so fat and minging

Now whatever someone feels about themselves, regardless of what their level of effort is, im going to be a friend no matter what.

But has anyone found that they have got annoyed when someone keeps on going on and on about being fat, complains that you are losing weight and its not fair that they cant, and they have a proper go at you.

You take it becase you are their friend, but does it annoy you when they refuse to do any exercise, and just told me about the fab fattytastic chinese they had last night, and the big chicken breast wrapped in bacon and mounds of cheese tonight.

I know you are supposed to care about your friends, but is it going too far when you turn around after they have had a proper nasty go at you, and tell them maybe if they didnt stuff their face constantly, then perhaps they wouldnt have such a problem.

What is annoying me with my friend, is not that the eat/act the way they are, not at all, its that they have a go at me and refuse to even accept that what they eat and dont exercise causes them to be the way they are, which they complain about.

OK, rant over :(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah I understand what you mean and agree. It's like just any other thing people obsess about and complain about all the time without doing anything about it, it's annoying and grates on the nerves.

Still, no idea what's a tactical way to counter it without being nasty.
  • Options
    One of my friends is very big - she must be not far off 20 stone, she gets funny if any of us talk about anything to do with clothes/food/size/what we don't like about ourselves etc yet eats rubbish (like a whole pizza) and doesn't do anything about it. One of our friends is even doing weight watchers and is doing well and offered her to come but she didn't say a word.
  • Options
    I dont even mind the complaining about it, while doing nothing.

Its the fact that they got more annoyed because they refuse to admit their lifestyle is partially to blame. They think they are just unlucky, and that they will always eat what they want, when they want.

Its like its so unfair that i cant lose weight, im so fat and i dont want to be, i will do anything, but damned i be if i ever have to give up eating as much as i do.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    One of my friends is very big - she must be not far off 20 stone, she gets funny if any of us talk about anything to do with clothes/food/size/what we don't like about ourselves etc yet eats rubbish (like a whole pizza) and doesn't do anything about it. One of our friends is even doing weight watchers and is doing well and offered her to come but she didn't say a word.

Im eating a lot of fish, rice, and veg lately

im really trying to lose the weight
  • Options
    It's not uncommon, MrG. Taken from stronglifts: "They rationalize their lives by making excuses about why they can’t achieve great things. And when people around them do achieve greatness, they must justify that success by explaining why it can’t happen to them."

I've had family members do the same to me. I love them no question, but when my auntie is telling me that I must be 'special' because of time/money/The Great Health Conspiracy, yet she has no idea why she's not losing weight after eating her 7th chocolate digestive in a row, there comes a point where there's little left to say.

Keep your chin up and stay focused :)
  • Options
    Good luck--though I'm sure you won't need it. You have a lovely attitude.

Yeah, it annoys the hell out of me when people keep on whining about their weight. Whining in general isn't pleasant, but people who whine never seem to DO anything about it. I have a friend who is big, but not excessively so. She's been gaining weight, and keeps whining about it and yet she eats really unhealthily and doesn't excercise EVER! I do love her, but when I suggest that she should choose the healthier option food wise or take the stairs rather than the lift or something silly like that. She knows that I'm not being nasty, I honestly think that she's pretty, I'm only suggesting things because she seems so bothered. But then I do understand what she's talking about and why she doesn't do anything--it's just that I when I try to help her feel better, she seems to take it as an insult. GAH! :banghead:

Sorry, this turned into a bit of a rant. It's been bugging me for a while now. :blush:
  • Options
    Yes it's annoying.

Also I get this from people about money who complain they are broke but as soon as they have any money spend it on crap they don't need and then complain when they are broke again. And wonder why I'm not.

But then we all have our own problems, solving other people's issues always seems easier than solving our own!
  • Options
    Thats another big one, i know it may offend, but the next woman who tells me they are broke, just for shits and giggles im going to ask how many pairs of shoes they have bought since their last pay day!

I know thats a big generalisation, but you would be suprised at how well it works
  • Options
    One of the best ways to lose weight is to avoid your favorite foods and look for alternatives that will taste just as good!
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Thats another big one, i know it may offend, but the next woman who tells me they are broke, just for shits and giggles im going to ask how many pairs of shoes they have bought since their last pay day!

I know thats a big generalisation, but you would be suprised at how well it works

None.

I bought food, and a train ticket.

It is a BIG generalisation because some people genuinely are having money problems. I can't afford *anything* at the moment. It's a bit shit, really.