Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

needing food inspiration

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im looking for some new recipes to try out

So if you have a favourite please post it here! Only rule is it has to be healthy, or capable of being made healthier by swapping some ingredients

Oh, and i dont like onions, garlic, leeks or sprouts.

Comments

• Options
    There goes my onion and leek tart with sprout and garlic veloutee :p
  • Options
    Pasta + tuna.

Works for me. Add whatever sauces you like, so maybe light mayo? I like it with salad cream.
  • Options
    not massively healthy but very tasty is a meal i've made a few times recently..

chicken thighs, pan fried, drain off all the crap, then chuck in some honey, lemon slices, a bit of soy sauce, sometimes a little bit of whiskey if im feeling frisky, it goes all goey and nice.

serve it with veg or mashed potatoes.

well nice it is :thumb:
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    There are some good ideas in this thread:
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=124392
  • Options
    i have just bought Rosemary Conley's GI hip and thigh diet book from ASDA for £3.86. It has loads of recipes in it for healthy low fat meals if anyone fancies getting it.
  • Options
    Carrot and beet salad. It may seem a bit weird, but it's quite good. Just grate carrots and beets with a rough grater, add some seasoning, esp. lime juice, salt, and maybe some nuts.
  • Options
    Get a jar of Jamaican jerk (warning... it is hot!), then smear some of it on whatever you have lying around.

Leave it an hour, even better, over night. Roast or fry it and have it with rice. DON'T MIX IT IN THE RICE.

The rice is to cool your mouth down.

You can jerk near enough anything.

ETA: Stuff I usually jerk is courgette, tofu and mushroom. You can add meat, or most veg.
  • Options
    Tofu is very versatile. If you freeze it and defrost it (firm tofu, not silken), it goes quite rubbery. You can crumble it, fry it with tumeric, mushroom, black pepper and onion and have mock scrambled egg.

Can send you some more recipes for tofu if you like. :)

Will send some more stuff later.
  • Options
    rinse off some carrots, place on baking tray, wack in oven til nice, eat.
  • Options
    Sauted (don't know if that's how you spell it) artichokes are delish. Take some tender artichoke hearts and sautee them in oil (i use butter, but oil is healthier).

Mushrooms sauted in oil with curry is quite delicious too. And really easy. All you do is put oil in a pan, toss in the mushrooms, add curry, and take them out when they shrivel slightly. It's incredibly quick and I love it.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    How do you cook without onions or garlic? That must seriously limit the number of dishes you can cook.

Onion's in almost every good meal I cook.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    How do you cook without onions or garlic? That must seriously limit the number of dishes you can cook.

Onion's in almost every good meal I cook.

I do eat stuff with onion and garlic in it, but if i can distinguish the taste of either then i wont like it. When used to create a different taste its fine but if i detect it...no chance of me eating it.
  • Options
    Chicken, cooked in paprika and bit of garlic...(optional), with chopped peppers and lime juice, with rice :D yum.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    My Enchiladas.

One of the only things I can say I have created from scratch. Most people seem to love them. They are very rich and I through the use of chili I like them hot. You can alwayscut down on the chili though. It's a very easy dish to play around with.

To feed 2.

Oil
    3 chicken breats diced or cut into strips
    Pack of flour tortillas
    One Onion chopped
    A few chilis chopped
    Garlic chopped (to taste)
    Half a tin of chopped tomatoes (bit more if you like your tomato)
    tsp tomato puree (and a tbl spoon or 2 later for the sauce)
    1 or 2 tbl chili powder (to taste)
    1 tsp Tumeric
    Tbl of fresh chopped corrianda
    A pinch of oregano
    Salt and Pepper
    Block of Cheddar cheese and a grater
    Ketchup

Turn the oven on to 200
    In a pan start the onions and chilis slowly frying on low in plenty of oil to soften them up. Once softened turn up the heat and add the chicken and brown off. Add the garlic, chili powder, tumeric, salt, pepper and tomato puree and mix in, 30 seconds later add the chopped tomatoes, mix and trun the heat down. Let it gently cook for 5 minutes before adding oregano, corrianda and a bit of grated cheese. Stir and keep warm.

In a small saucepan stick in a little oil, a good load of tomato puree, a small squit of ketchup and a little water. Heat gently until you have a nice tomato sauce. You can add chili powder here too. Get it thick, but thin enough to spread easilly.

Nuke the tortillas for 30 - 45 seconds in the microwave to soften them up. Spoon the chicken mixture into the centre of the tortillas and roll them up. Place them on greased baking tray side by side touching each other. You should have roughly four rolls.

Pour the sauce on top and spread evenly. Then grate cheese over the top of them. Stick them in the oven until the cheese is nicely melted and the tortillas begin to crisp up.

Serve with salad.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    My Enchiladas.

One of the only things I can say I have created from scratch. Most people seem to love them. They are very rich and I through the use of chili I like them hot. You can alwayscut down on the chili though. It's a very easy dish to play around with.

To feed 2.

Oil
    3 chicken breats diced or cut into strips
    Pack of flour tortillas
    One Onion chopped
    A few chilis chopped
    Garlic chopped (to taste)
    Half a tin of chopped tomatoes (bit more if you like your tomato)
    tsp tomato puree (and a tbl spoon or 2 later for the sauce)
    1 or 2 tbl chili powder (to taste)
    1 tsp Tumeric
    Tbl of fresh chopped corrianda
    A pinch of oregano
    Salt and Pepper
    Block of Cheddar cheese and a grater
    Ketchup

Turn the oven on to 200
    In a pan start the onions and chilis slowly frying on low in plenty of oil to soften them up. Once softened turn up the heat and add the chicken and brown off. Add the garlic, chili powder, tumeric, salt, pepper and tomato puree and mix in, 30 seconds later add the chopped tomatoes, mix and trun the heat down. Let it gently cook for 5 minutes before adding oregano, corrianda and a bit of grated cheese. Stir and keep warm.

In a small saucepan stick in a little oil, a good load of tomato puree, a small squit of ketchup and a little water. Heat gently until you have a nice tomato sauce. You can add chili powder here too. Get it thick, but thin enough to spread easilly.

Nuke the tortillas for 30 - 45 seconds in the microwave to soften them up. Spoon the chicken mixture into the centre of the tortillas and roll them up. Place them on greased baking tray side by side touching each other. You should have roughly four rolls.

Pour the sauce on top and spread evenly. Then grate cheese over the top of them. Stick them in the oven until the cheese is nicely melted and the tortillas begin to crisp up.

Serve with salad.

Sounds obscenely good.