Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Vista vs XP, when it comes to (old) games

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
Yes, the common question... However I'd like an answer specifically for my case.
I've just ordered a laptop, which comes with Vista pre-installed (I'd rather it came with no OS, but they don't sell them that way...)
Being a linux user, I basically only have windows on my computer to play games that can't work on Ubuntu, I don't really care how new the windows version is but only if it will work for the reason I want it. So my question is this:

Is there a chance that a game (perhaps an old one, let's say 98-99 is the oldest) that works on XP will have trouble working on Vista?

Currently, my list is like this:

Vista-Pros
Legitimate copy
DX10 (for future games, it's useless to me now)

Vista-Cons
Much stricter than XP
Much more recourse-heavy than XP
Will games work?

XP-Pros
Everything I want to work does
Lighter as a system
Fewer restrictions

XP-Cons
Illegitimate copy
No DX10 (for future games, it's useless to me now)

So, CoolMe (or anyone else :p), what's the suggestion?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had to reply my username was mentioned!

For starters, how big is your Hard Drive - You could use one of microsofts lovely products - Virtual PC? - Mount how many ever OS's you want :)

I've installed vista and xp on many computers and noticed a big difference, One thing I disable first off is UAC - User account control.

The annoying screen pops up and think's I don't know what im doing!

Apart from that, that's the only thing I don't like about vista :)

Reference to your games, yes XP is much better and runs smoother, but on the other hand you may of heard me mention this - The Service pack! is coming out mid march, would could increase performance and improve gaming performance? Who knows?

Another important note, what do your games recommend for XP/Vista?

Have fun :)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Thanks. When it comes to hard drive space, there's plenty of it. That computer has a 250GB HD!
    I suppose I could partition it and install 3 OSes on it, but I'd rather just have my primary one and one with Windows.

And what do you mean what my games recommend? Most of them were made in the time that XP meant Experience Points and Vista was a strange word. :p
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    XP I find has less compatibility issues than Vista with really old gamez. Vista is just a compatibility bitch to be fair.

Also, why include pirate/non pirate in pros/cons? Updates I have found mainly cure little and fuck up alot of stuff. The only legal version of XP we own has been declared pirate by Microsoft recently (fucking dicks:lol: ) so I must sort that out sometime as my parents haven't bothered. (dicks... :lol:)

Vista is good for DX10. That's about it. I'll get Vista when DX10 is a must. Well, I have Vista, just not installed. Vista really requires a Dual Core processor with 2gb ram and an 8800 minimum for proper gaming performance. XP can do this on far less spec. But then, install XP on a P1 for a laugh. 30 minutes bootup. Then sell this PC to someone for lulz.

OS's need more as time goes on. But Vista decided to take the piss.

If you have legit Vista, dual boot it up. Grab a cheap second HDD. Have some fun messing about. Then when the time comes, make the jump and delete XP. Vista won't let you delete it (even in XP, with Vista not booted) so that's why I say second HDD, so you can format it if Vista simply must die.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Of course you can delete vista. Just delete the partition, no? If he's using linux then grub will be clever enough to do all the bootloader stuff without too much hassle anyway.

They're both fine, for backwards compatibility vista x64 doesn't support 16 bit applications. Also there are some teething programs with some games that were released for XP due to lazy dev programming, but you can get around these (i.e. creating directories in C: by default without checking and stuff). Vista uses a few more resources so the overhead may be a bit bigger, so you might get an extra 1/2 a frame per second in XP.

I'd be tempted to just resize the partition and install linux on the space and not bother faffing about with installing XP because they'll both do the same job. Unless you've got time to kill why make more work for yourself?