Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

GHD wire connection

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My GHDs are just over a year old, the wire seems to have gone faulty? They make an odd crackling sound every so often and the light goes out, however if you move the wires the light somes back on! Is there a way I can fix these - they are my lifeline!!! I'm panicing incase anything serious happens..

Comments

• Options
    As they're only just over a year old, are they still in warranty? If so, I'd suggest calling ghd and seeing what they can do. I'm pretty sure they can fix or replace straighteners that are within the warranty.
  • Options
    As they're only just over a year old, are they still in warranty? If so, I'd suggest calling ghd and seeing what they can do. I'm pretty sure they can fix or replace straighteners that are within the warranty.

I'm not sure if they actually had a warranty... My mum bought them so I'll ask her
  • Options
    Ok, well the ghd customer services number is 0845 3301133.

They're really helpful, so should be able to offer some advice, if not sort the problem.

Good luck, I feel your pain, mine have gone away to be fixed for a similar problem!
  • Options
    Mine did something similiar. A friend's dad fixed them - cut the wires under the plug (and which time i fell to the floor weeping) and then attached them onto a new plug. I don't understand really but all I know is that they worked again and it took him about 30seconds.

Got a handy andy in ya family?
  • Options
    Well, I thought about that.. but then my mum suggested getting new ones so I'm getting remington ones which should be good? Getting them tommorow as well because I need them before Prom on Friday night. I knew something had to go wwong with this prom - cos everything's gone fine so far, something had to go wrong!
  • Options
    Mine are about 2 years old and they started doing that recently. Can't say I'm surprised, their reputation for blowing up says it all. My first pair blew up and my second pair sparked out, now I'm on my 3rd pair in about 6 years.
  • Options
    To be honest - I wouldn't even bother with anything but GHD's. From what I've heard and experienced nothing else compares.
    As Ilora-Danon said, hers keep blowing up yet she keeps buying more 'cos they are lifesaving for bad hair days, and even if you have to buy a new pair every year (if your anything like me) they are totally worth it anyway.
  • Options
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    From what I've heard and experienced nothing else compares.

I dunno, my sister's straighteners are pretty good in comparison to my GHD's, can't remember what they're called (Kodos or something). They did cost a lot, but less than my GHD's did. And hers have never exploded in the 3 years she's had them :p.
  • Options
    GHDs all the way.
    I bought mine off eBay and am getting a bit worried as they approach 8/9 months old that I'll have to buy a new pair soon
  • Options
    I have GHD-esque straighteners - they aren't GHDs but they are the same kind of thing and do me fine. They were expensive, and are proper hairdressers ones not shitty Argos ones or something. I think with GHDs people just pay for the brand name despite the fact that they die. Money making scam if you ask me :thumb:
  • Options
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    Mine did something similiar. A friend's dad fixed them - cut the wires under the plug (and which time i fell to the floor weeping) and then attached them onto a new plug. I don't understand really but all I know is that they worked again and it took him about 30seconds.

Got a handy andy in ya family?
    Yup, Mr Glittery did the same to mine.
  • Options
    Well, I've sent the straightners off to GHD who are offering to have a looky and see what they can do :D so we can hope!!

On the lines of other straightners, I've bought Remington wet2straight and theyre good!!! :D
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Franki wrote: »
    I dunno, my sister's straighteners are pretty good in comparison to my GHD's, can't remember what they're called (Kodos or something). They did cost a lot, but less than my GHD's did. And hers have never exploded in the 3 years she's had them :p.

Yeah a friend of mine has got Kodos they are really good - but as you say not much cheaper really.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Yeah a friend of mine has got Kodos they are really good - but as you say not much cheaper really.
    Yeh, but they don't explode :p.

If I'd known where to get some from I would've bought those, but Rich is lazy and so he just bought GHD's from the website :p.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Franki wrote: »
    Yeh, but they don't explode :p.

This is true :) When your GHDs explode you'll have to send Rich links to them ;)
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    This is true :) When your GHDs explode you'll have to send Rich links to them ;)
    Haha definitely :D:p. I think he'd probably blame me though :(.
  • Options
    i'm on my third pair of GHDS and the first 2 did the same as yours did heart shaped box - the wiring started going faulty and then eventually they sparked and 'blew up'.

the first pair lasted about 2 years though.

its annoying because they're obviously not long lasting but nothing else compares to them, i hate all other straighteners! when i had to do without for a week i was nearly in tears trying to do my hair with my sisters shite remington ones. haha.
  • Options
    i'm on my third pair of GHDS and the first 2 did the same as yours did heart shaped box - the wiring started going faulty and then eventually they sparked and 'blew up'.

the first pair lasted about 2 years though.

its annoying because they're obviously not long lasting but nothing else compares to them, i hate all other straighteners! when i had to do without for a week i was nearly in tears trying to do my hair with my sisters shite remington ones. haha.
    If your third pair explodes too, I would seriously recommend you trying Kodos. They're just as good imo and Lizzy's haven't exploded after 3 years of pretty much daily use. And she really abuses hers.
  • Options
    Well, I've sent the straightners off to GHD who are offering to have a looky and see what they can do :D so we can hope!!

On the lines of other straightners, I've bought Remington wet2straight and theyre good!!! :D

Glad you sent them back, you will probably get a new pair sent out, my previous 2 pairs went fault first pair was 2 weeks outta warranty and 2nd pair was nearly 6 months outta warranty and they were both replaced! I can't fault GHD they are great! Phone up next week and see what the score is they will advise you if your getting a new pair or not