Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ethernet?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm having usb problems so my connection at the mo is ethernet.
whats the upside/downside of this ...it seems stable and very fast.

Comments

• Options
    Old Ethernet used to have packet collision problems when too many devices were on the same network - but switched Ethernet is very good. For your use, I would say that it would be more than adequate. :)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Old Ethernet used to have packet collision problems when too many devices were on the same network - but switched Ethernet is very good. For your use, I would say that it would be more than adequate. :)
    it says i'm connected at 100.0Mbps ...surely that can't be right?
  • Options
    hi rolly,

your PC will be connected to your router at 100MBps, then your router on to the WAN (ie your internet provider) at a different speed

you can check this by logging into the router

What make/model is it mate?

Anyway, it's MUCH better than having a USB connection mate :)
  • Options
    it says i'm connected at 100.0Mbps ...surely that can't be right?
    I have to use an ethernet cable while I'm at uni and that's what mine says too, so I guess it must be right :p.
  • Options
    When I was at university it was ethernet in the bedrooms if you were online. Had to get an ethernet card for my desktop pc. Don't know anything else about it though.
  • Options
    The only real downside (in home network terms) is that you have to have a cable for ethernet connections.

Of course if you were on USB before then that's no different in that regard.

You can use ethernet over power lines though or wireless instead. ra.
  • Options
    hi rolly,
    your PC will be connected to your router at 100MBps, then your router on to the WAN (ie your internet provider) at a different speed
    you can check this by logging into the router

What make/model is it mate?

Anyway, it's MUCH better than having a USB connection mate :)
    hya Cheese.
    i've come back to my house which has stood empty for nearly two years ...it's cold and damp and the bills haven't been paid!
    So ...i've had to get everything re conned and i've gone for BT this time as they seemed to be able to get me up and running reasonably quick ...at the mo i'm using a BT vOYAGER 210 ....WILL PROBABLY GET A WIRELESS SET UP IN A FEW WEEKS BUT ...OOops friggin caps lock.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    You can use ethernet over power lines though . ra.
    Mist ...i'm old ...this doesn't mean anything to me at all!
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    The only real downside (in home network terms) is that you have to have a cable for ethernet connections.

:yes:.

It's annoying when I'm so used to being able to use my laptop anywhere at home :(.
  • Options
    Mist ...i'm old ...this doesn't mean anything to me at all!

I think it means that you know how some people use "wireless" internet (WiFi) and they wonder around the house with their laptop not plugged into anything whilst online and in Starbucks and on trains, well I think you can't do that with ethernet as it needs the ethernet cable plugged in.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I think it means that you know how some people use "wireless" internet (WiFi) and they wonder around the house with their laptop not plugged into anything whilst online and in Starbucks and on trains, well I think you can't do that with ethernet as it needs the ethernet cable plugged in.

Ahhh ...thankyou RG.