Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Changing mole

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK have a feeling I know the answer to this but just thought a couple of second/third opinions might help...
On Saturday morning when I woke up my boyfriend noticed a bit of dried blood on a mole I've got on my collarbone. It didn't hurt, but when I looked at it I could see it had been bleeding a bit and the middle is quite red. It's a fairly large mole anyway and as far as I can remember has always been there but it seemed a bit larger than I remembered (I don't usually pay it a lot of attention) and more irregular on the sides. I'm just wondering, do you think I should get it checked by a doctor? The likelihood is I caught it on something while getting undressed which caused the bleeding, but the irregularity and seeming change in size is worrying me a little, particularly as I've just come back from 2 months in strong sunshine in New Zealand and Fiji (and despite copious use of sunscreen I did get burnt). Should I go to the docs, or am I probably worrying over nothing?

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    You know the answer to this. If you have a mole that changes in any shape or form you need to get it checked out at the docs. It may be nothing but it's better to be safe than sorry.
  • Options
    It probably is nowt to worry about, but you should always get them checked if you're worried.

Better it be nothing and you waste 5 mins than not get it checked and it be something serious :)
  • Options
    As you said, you know the answer.

That said, I've got one of my sternum and I knock it or catch it occasionally and it goes funny or bleeds from where I've scratched it so tend to leave it for a couple of days to see if it's just from that.
  • Options
    Yeah go to the doctor. I had one bleed and the doctor refered me straight to the hospital but it turned out all okay. But definately get it checked out.
  • Options
    Well, it hasn't bled any more but it definitely looks different to before I went away, so have booked an appointment for Thursday morning. I'm sure it'll turn out to be nothing to worry about but you guys are right - better safe than sorry. Cheers :)
  • Options
    My sister had a mole that bled and she went to the doctor and it was nothing. They measured it while she was there incase she notices it change again so they have something to compare with in the furture though.
    Hope it goes ok tomorrow
  • Options
    Hey guys
    Just a quick update...the doctor had a look and told me it had probably caught on something which had caused it to bleed, but as I was concerned about the irregularity and change in shape etc she said she'd recommend I have it removed. So I will be going back in for a minor op (apparently they just give you a bit of local anaesthetic and scrape it off, sounds horrid but doesn't hurt or so she said) then it'll be sent off for histology - which I think is where they analyse it for any potential problems. If anything comes up from that then I'll have to have more treatment, obviously, but she didn't seem overly concerned. One less mole is fine by me anyway, damn things!
    Thanks again for all your supportive comments :) I'm glad I went to get it checked.
  • Options
    Sounds like it went well. :)
    The local anesthetic will defenitly stop you feeling any pain at all. I've had stuff done with local anesthetic and you really can't feel anything. I've had a few teeth out and all I could feel was this very very vague tugging sensation. I'm guessing it'd be similar to that.

Hope all goes well anyway. I'm sure it'll be fine. :yes: