Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Aussies say sorry to Aborigines

"The Australian government has made a formal apology for the past wrongs inflicted by successive governments on the indigenous Aboriginal population.
Prime Minister Kevin Rudd apologised in parliament in the capital, Canberra, for the laws and polices that inflicted 'profound grief, suffering and loss'. Mr Rudd also singled out the 'Stolen Generations' of thousands of children forcibly removed from their families."
Click here for more details >>

Isn't this simply gesture politics of the worst kind? Okay, nobody doubts that the Aboriginal population has suffered massively. Indeed, the episode where thousands of children were effectively snatched from their families is to Australia's eternal shame. But ask yourselves - what good is an apology going to do? It's not going to undo all the damage, so why say sorry?

Over to you...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    'bout fucking time. But it is still a racist society and they still have a long way to go.

An apology will not undo what is done - as one aboriginal leader said today "we cannot change what happened yesterday because it has past, we cannot change what happens tommorow because it is yet to come, all we can do is act properly today." and I understand that sentiment and how it links with PM Rudd's comments today.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    "The Australian government has made a formal apology for the past wrongs inflicted by successive governments on the indigenous Aboriginal population.
    Prime Minister Kevin Rudd apologised in parliament in the capital, Canberra, for the laws and polices that inflicted 'profound grief, suffering and loss'. Mr Rudd also singled out the 'Stolen Generations' of thousands of children forcibly removed from their families."
    Click here for more details >>

Isn't this simply gesture politics of the worst kind? Okay, nobody doubts that the Aboriginal population has suffered massively. Indeed, the episode where thousands of children were effectively snatched from their families is to Australia's eternal shame. But ask yourselves - what good is an apology going to do? It's not going to undo all the damage, so why say sorry?

Over to you...
    Because it might help to better relations and reduce resentment between Aborigenes and whites in Australia.

Some apologies are more relevant than others though. IMO the more recent an atrocity, the more important an apology. Given that most people who lived the 'stolen generation' episode, be the parents or the children themselves are still alive, the apology is very relevant as it will be directed at the victims themselves.

It might not change the past but it will probably make a difference for the future.
  • Options
    I think its appropriate considering that there is still massive inequality between whites and aborigonees (ok, I can't spell). Acknowledging wrong doing can help settle differences and pave the way for a future together.
  • Options
    sybolism and sentiment in regards to an acknowledgement of dire soci/historical conditions of an oppressed racial minority is ultimately worthless and hypocritical if it doesn't offer real material benefits for them, including compensation. We'll see if white racist 0z is really 'fairdinkum' from now on with its impoverished indigenous people.
  • Options
    I think its a totally appropriate gesture and should have been done a long time ago.

I really like Rudd so far :yes:
  • Options
    That's what most of politics is though. If it wasn't, then there would be no need for any politician to ever make a speech.