Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Lights out - literally!

"Thousands of street lamps in suburban areas are being switched off after midnight. The blackouts are being imposed by councils to cut energy bills and meet climate change targets. Buckinghamshire is carrying out one of the most radical trials of the new approach. More than 1,700 lights, which illuminate 25 miles of roads, will soon be switched off completely. The council claims the scheme will save £100,000 and nearly 600 tons of carbon dioxide emissions every year."

So says the Daily Mail. Click here for more details. Must admit I don't really have a problem with it. I can't see what the point is of having lights on at 2am when a street is completely deserted myself. It'd be largely for the benefit of CCTV cameras which will have nothing to film at that time of night anyway. As for the argument it's dangerous for motorists... someone's obviously neglected to tell the Mail that cars these days have headlamps which you can use to help see at night.

What do you reckon? Great idea, or just a council being stingy?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's a good idea, and there are other benefits too. The night sky is one of the great spectacles of the world- yet due to light pollution most of us don't get to see any stars- or a pitiful handful of them, instead of the thousands that should be visible with the naked eye- due to the immense number of artificial lighting all around us.

When you get birds singing through the night because they no longer have a concept of day and night you know it's got bad.
  • Options
    Seems a good idea - though I'd suggest having them on longer on Friday and Saturday, and I wouldn't want them shut down on main roads.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    It's a good idea, and there are other benefits too. The night sky is one of the great spectacles of the world- yet due to light pollution most of us don't get to see any stars- or a pitiful handful of them, instead of the thousands that should be visible with the naked eye- due to the immense number of artificial lighting all around us.
    This actually reminds me of a show I used to watch as a kid. It was called Hey Arnold, made by Nickelodeon. There's an episode of that show in which Arnold manages to persuade the entire city to switch off their lights for a few minutes so they can see a meteor flying in the sky.

I've got to admit that's one of the few advantages of living in a rural area. When I look up towards the sky at night, I can see the stars above me, amidst the peace and quiet. Whenever I'm in Manchester, or any other major city, I can't see that at all.
  • Options
    As long as there are trial areas first, and its done with consultation with the residents I fail to see what the problem is.

Although, having said that street lamps do actually use a very small amount of electricity, they are only about 11-25 watts each.
  • Options
    As an educated guess I would say that at least 95% of our roads don't have any lighting at all, and people manage just fine.
  • Options
    Is there not an issue of crime and safety here though?
  • Options
    I don't like it. I'm scared enough being outside after dark as it is, and constantly am aware of what's around me because of this. If I couldn't see what was around me frankly I think I'd be terrified.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    When you get birds singing through the night because they no longer have a concept of day and night you know it's got bad.
    The ones here in North London sing all fucking night, I never knew what caused it!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    There arn't any where I live anyway.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I don't like it. I'm scared enough being outside after dark as it is, and constantly am aware of what's around me because of this. If I couldn't see what was around me frankly I think I'd be terrified.

ditto here, what about people coming out of pubs etc? the roads up here tend to get relatively busy at weekends between midnight and about 2ish, so no I don't think that's a brilliant idea!
  • Options
    So we can now look forward to being blinded by every car on the road at night. Great. :thumb:
  • Options
    I think midnight is too early for it to happen at. 3am when the majority are in from nights out would be ok, but so many people are still wandering home at night after midnight that I think in many areas it will cause more people to be put at risk.
  • Options
    i always know when i fly over britain when on a plane, simply due to the street lighting
  • Options
    I think this light pollution map says it all...

global.jpg
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Nothing on Australia? That's strange...
  • Options
    Nothing on Australia? That's strange...

Only on the edges which is where most people live anyway.
  • Options
    I've encountered situations where the street lights have made problems of antisocial behaviour worse. A couple of years ago they installed some in an alleyway on my beat. Within a few months the local kids have started hanging around underneath them. They're lit up so they feel safe and they can't be seen from the road and any passing police, so the damage and disorderly behaviour start. The local residents are trying to get the lights turned off.

Stargalaxy, as for CCTV not being needed after 2am, what exactly are you basing that on......? I've gon through hours of footage for investigations where the incident happened in the early hours of the morning, and our spate of burglaries were all happening between 3 and 4, although unfortunately they were happening in an area not covered by CCTV.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Stargalaxy, as for CCTV not being needed after 2am, what exactly are you basing that on?
    Because I don't seriously believe that CCTV is as effective as we are told. How many crimes does a CCTV camera actually prevent? We're one of the most watched societies in the world, yet crime happens aplenty. Let's say that one of these cameras catches someone in the act - by the time you've got a copper down there, they'll have long gone.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Because I don't seriously believe that CCTV is as effective as we are told. How many crimes does a CCTV camera actually prevent? We're one of the most watched societies in the world, yet crime happens aplenty. Let's say that one of these cameras catches someone in the act - by the time you've got a copper down there, they'll have long gone.

We use ours retroactively to identify people once a crime has ocurred.

Town centre CCTV from what I understand is quite effective and proactive. A busy city centre will have van loads of divisional support units driving around, seconds away from trouble.
    A cctv operator spots something, radios in and the van turns up. The CCTV system we use leads to quite a few arrests and PNDs.