Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

China Olympic twats

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As much as I hate sports stars and musicians banging on about politics, this is just another example of China trying to suppress any political criticism whatsoever.
For the first time, the contract which the athletes must sign refers to an Olympic rule prohibiting political demonstrations or propaganda.

I hope everyone cheers extra loud for Taiwan throughout the entire games.

Comments

• Options
    It isn't the Chinese who've done it, it's the British organisation.

I can see both sides of the argument, really. It isn't the swimmers' place to make a stand about politics, but at the same time the politics can't be separated from the event.

The whole Olympic thing is going to be a disaster for human rights. But since when have the IOC or the big corporations given a stuff about that?
  • Options
    This isn't the first time that Britain has shown weakness in the face of dictatorships. Remember back in 1936? Germany was hosting the Olympics - the England football team were ordered to make Nazi salutes whilst at Munich. I saw the picture in The Mail on Sunday today - it was a shameful sight. See for yourself;

naziMOS0902_468x196.jpg

This morning, Hitler will have looked up from the pits of hell and felt very proud of the British Olympic Association.
  • Options
    I won't be supporting the Olympics this year.

China are fucking disgraceful, they should be held accountable for all they've done.

I hope China gets the spotlight this year so people can see the environment-destroying, genocide-supporting piece of shit government it has.
  • Options
    As ever, money talks.
  • Options
    i say one of the athelte's breaks it

or people get in a giant taiwanese flag
  • Options
    Gotta love the chinese, at it again!
  • Options
    Cold war politics being played out in China? Eerily familiar to the 1980 Moscow and 1984 Los Angeles Olympic political boycotts.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    It isn't the Chinese who've done it, it's the British organisation.

So it is. Anyway, they've changed their mind now. Didn't take long, did it?