Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Does anybody play rugby?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey,

I'm going to try out at the local rugby club tonight, but the problem is, I've never played a game before in my life, and I'm an unfit git right now.

Does anybody here play at all, and could give me a few pointers on what to expect/do/not do?

Cheers :thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Not for a club.

Erm I guess you should be prepared to take a knock.

Catch a ball. Can you pass it with spin? That can be tricky, make sure you hands are working together, one of my hand would try and spin it one way and the other the other :blush:

Also Pill'ed has played for a club.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Prepare to wake up in a lot of pain tomorrow, especially if you take some big hits.

Best advice to a newbie is to just go for it, go into tackles 100% and get the shoulder in, if you dont you'll either get injured or be mentally scarred for life ;) Otherwise just make sure you can pass and catch and run like the damn wind!
  • Options
    Not for a club.

Erm I guess you should be prepared to take a knock.

Catch a ball. Can you pass it with spin? That can be tricky, make sure you hands are working together, one of my hand would try and spin it one way and the other the other :blush:

Also Pill'ed has played for a club.
    Yeah, I can kind of pass with spin, but only on one side of my body...

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll come on tomorrow and let you know how it goes :nervous:
  • Options
    Yeah, I can kind of pass with spin, but only on one side of my body...

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll come on tomorrow and let you know how it goes :nervous:

Good luck!!
  • Options
    Oh well, I did it...

Tbh, I'm not sure how it went. We played touch rugby, and I was pretty shit at that. I couldn't see without my contacts, so I think that played a big role in it. Then we did some drills which I mostly watched, and then finished up with some running.

The guys said I wasn't that bad, and the player/manager guy said:

"For a rookie you are one of the best I have seen!!! No joke!!"

I don't know if he's saying that just to be nice and have an extra $150 in subs, and he followed it up with:

"Come out Tuesday if you can and you must play at least one match, next Saturday. If after that you do not love the game that steve and I hold dear to our heart, then I would understand and you can become a social member and just cheer for us and drink with us!!"

I am totally not ready for a real match yet, but I don't know what to make of the general tone of his e-mail? Encouraging but letting me down at the same time?

I don't know... This is kind of a big deal for me because I *never* played any team sports at high school. The 'must win' mentality just wrecked me, and I hated how everyone else made it feel like it was my fault we lost. And I don't want that kind of feeling again, especially now I'm 25.