Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

club smoke machines

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've noticed that whenever i go to a particular club, the next day i wake up with a really tight chest, croaky voice, sore throat, and sort of wheezy feeling.
i was thinking about it the other day and they had new smoke machines installed a while ago. I saw a sign up when they first had them done saying the smoke is..... some chemical or gas or something... but cant remember what it is exactly.
The type of smoke it is is really bright white dense smoke. When its sprayed out you cannot see anyone around you, even someone standing right next to you! its really disorientating!!

Im guessing im having some kind of reaction to it and its effecting my lungs/throat etc.
Does any one else have anything like this happen?
It does kind of worry me. I tend to avoid the dance floor as much as possible now just incase... :(

Comments

• Options
    AB2404 wrote: »
    I've noticed that whenever i go to a particular club, the next day i wake up with a really tight chest, croaky voice, sore throat, and sort of wheezy feeling.
    i was thinking about it the other day and they had new smoke machines installed a while ago. I saw a sign up when they first had them done saying the smoke is..... some chemical or gas or something... but cant remember what it is exactly.
    The type of smoke it is is really bright white dense smoke. When its sprayed out you cannot see anyone around you, even someone standing right next to you! its really disorientating!!

Im guessing im having some kind of reaction to it and its effecting my lungs/throat etc.
    Does any one else have anything like this happen?
    It does kind of worry me. I tend to avoid the dance floor as much as possible now just incase... :(

I get it at the time for a little bit but am fine the next morning. Do you have astma or anything??
  • Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey,

Check out these smoke machine FAQs to find out more health and safty details.

It says "For certain people with asthma or breathing problems, dense smoke can cause eye, nose and throat irritation."

:thumb:
  • Options
    I had a very bad asthma attack and had to be carried outside by bouncers after a smoke machine went off in my face. I think they can be very dangerous and there should be more warnings in clubs about where exactly they are located.
  • Options
    Some of the dense fog ones are powder rather than dry ice (the very cold stuff that rolls across the floor), and some people find the powder irritating. Not a lot you can do really other than not go, some people find drinking plenty of water helps with the powder ones.
  • Options
    its a water based liquid that is rapidly heated up and blown out the front, its not smoke or there would have to be a fire, no fire, no smoke.

All the symptoms are phcological, people think "ooh smoke *cough cough*"

Anyone with astma, you arent affected, well not with the water based ones, dont know about the others, but its mainly in your head.

I am not athsmatic and i get a sore throat next to smoke machines but its just you thinking its smoke and reacting in the way you would if it was smoke.

Heres some more info on how smoke machines work:
    http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question240.htm