Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Difference between Vista and XP?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, just wondering if anyone can tell me the main differences between these? I don't know anyone who has Vista but as i am looking for a new Notebook at the moment, i am wondering if i should stick to one where i have the option of XP, of if i should move with the times and go with Vista?

Help would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    ive had vista a month or 2 now.

ive had some issues with some programs.
    you may well have trouble using wireless. its lucky i have the modem in reach of my pc, so i can just plug in the cable.

some things are a little annoying, and some things are quite fancy, but although it looks pretty and new ive not actually seen any improvements.

looks like its trying to look like a mac, really.

maybe stick with xp until vista has sorted out its compatibility problems.
  • Options
    I've had it for a week with no problems. It's not bad :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, the only problem is the laptop im looking at (dell inspiron 1520) doesn't have the option so if im gonna go with that it'll need to be vista. I just wondered if it was worth looking round so i could stick with xp.
  • Options
    I've had Vista for about 4 months now. Personally I don't have any preference.

If you have lots of older devices that you plug in I'd check their capabilities and make sure they can handle Vista...it can get expensive otherwise.

Other than that there's little differences and a few issues with Vista, but nothing that will really effect you too much for standard use.

I wouldn't worry too much if it doesn't have the option for Vista...I'm presuming you currently have a copy of XP you could install if you really don't like it, and end of the day it won't be long till they sort a lot of the little vista issues out and at least you'll have a copy of it, rather than 12 months down the line deciding it's time to upgrade and having to go out and buy it seperately.
  • Options
    *clicks fingers*

By the sounds of what you've posted, your the average jim bob user you surf the net check mail and most likely listen to music.

Vista is for you ! :)

Specialy on a Dell Laptop.

I've got nothing else to say really, apart from the fact that its the next OS, it's got features which are better so don't listen to the people who like to think it's copying another OS, or it's just changed its apperance.

Its whats inside that counts :)
  • Options
    Sugar wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, the only problem is the laptop im looking at (dell inspiron 1520) doesn't have the option so if im gonna go with that it'll need to be vista. I just wondered if it was worth looking round so i could stick with xp.

Try Dell's business section rather than their home section. They always have the option to swap the OS on their business laptops.
  • Options
    The thing that impresses me most about Vista is when I first switched it on.

I plugged in my scanner, printer, modem e.t.c. and it found all the driver's itself without having to use a CD. Everything seems to just, work. It's only crashed if i've played a game designed for XP, and even then the crashes get fewer and further between as the pc searches for solutions to the problem itself and new updates are installed.
  • Options
    Well unless for some reason you want the older operating system of XP, theres no point in considering going for XP.

Vista is the new operating system designed to replace XP, most software etc designed from now on will be for Vista. I had XP on my old computer and now have vista on laptop, its so much more user friendly and it also looks better.

The other good thing, as highlighted in the post above is that you hardly have to use any installation CDs as you plug in any device and Vista installs whatever it needs and runs it quickly and smoothly.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, replies much appreciated! Think i'll just go with vista then :)
  • Options
    vista + 4gig ram = win
  • Options
    The only issue that I have with Vista is that there's no software I can download to scan anything either into my computer or on to my dad's laptop. (which uses XP)

I do like the idea of the search bar in the start menu.
  • Options
    I've just got a laptop with Vista on it, and lots of people warned me off it, but if you're not a computer geek, I think it's fine.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Vista is Windows ME, XP is 98.

Simple choice.
  • Options
    I have to agree with the above. Haven't really worked under the hood of vista yet, but so far it seems fine.

The difference between Vista and XP is that you may experience performance problems on older computers, but with a recently new one, you should be fine. XP does still outperform Vista when performing tasks such as network copying and stuff like that, but this will be greatly improved in Vista when service pack 1 is ready.