Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My laptop is currently, not a happy computer. I'm about 98% sure I know what the problem is, but its the fixing thats causing me issues. Basically I went to turn my computer on the other day and the screen just stayed black and it beeped at me 3 times and then nothing. It did it for maybe 2 hours and then the next day it did it for a bit and then I randomly tried to turn it on and it just came on absolutley fine. So its been on and off for a day or so, I've worked out I think its just totally over heating, its dusty as hell in my room and im guilty of sitting in bed with my computer. little poofs of dust even came out the fan when i just turned it on. but how do i clean the inside of a laptop? I'm in Austria and don't really want to have to test my technical german. I read something about heatsinks? I dont know. Any advice would be much appreciated, its a HP Pavilion dv6000.Thanks.

Edit, I've found a disassembly guide, it is stupid to dismantle the computer myself?

Comments

• Options
    Going by the pictures, that laptop doesn't look particularly old at all? Is it still under manufacturer's warranty?

If it is i wouldn't do anything that could potentially void it (e.g disassembly)

On the bottom of the laptop there should be various hatches, if you get a small philips screwdriver and open all the hatches and check for dust. It's more than likely that you won't be able to clean the heatsink itself (as usually you're not given a hatch to access the CPU directly.

Anyway. I'd probably do this:

1) Check under all the easily accessible hatches and check/clean for dust & debris.

2) Put the pipe of the hoover directly up against ventilation holes.

If that doesn't help, check and make sure that the problem is heat related, e.g when it's not booting, turn it off allow it to cool and try again.

3) If it's under warranty, make the call and have it returned.

Otherwise

4) carefully dismantle only the parts that you need to to gain access to the CPU/Heat-sink, don't use excessive force, if it doesn't prise apart easily then often it's a screw that you've overlooked & forgot to remove.

Generally laptops are fairly difficult to work on, even for people who know what they're doing. So if you don't feel confident don't try it!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Don't use it on your bed again, ever. It needs a flat, hard surface.
  • Options
    Don't use it on your bed again, ever. It needs a flat, hard surface.

I use mine on my bed :blush:, but the vents on mine aren't on the bottom so it's not so bad ;-)
  • Options
    You could try removing the battery, turning it on without the battery in, just using the mains powers

Or simply u could check to see if the littler tab that makes the screen turn off when u close the monitor down is stuck down for some reason, probably won't be this.