Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Age gaps

ok so theres this girl at work that i kinda like, shes cute, funny, nice to be round etc etc. im pretty sure she likes me too, the problem comes with the fact that shes about 5 years younger than me, now i know most people would say thats no biggie,

however shes 16-17 and im 21, now i know from going through it myself and seeing my firends go through the same that 16-19 are probably the most changing years of a persons life, so i worry about the following

1) i want a more grown up relationship (dont get me wrong i love to act the kid and play games etc), but i want someoene who is mature enough to be honest/forthright with me about any issues.

2) im worried about workplace bitching, i am her direct superior so it could cause accusations of favoritism even when there is none, i dont care what other people think but a bitchy workplace (and mine is a really bitchy one) can put alot of strain on a new realtionship, i could get into big trouble if someone got vindictive and decided to make a complaint,

3) kinda worried about her parents, not meeting em or anything but just what attitude would they take towards theyre 16 year old daughter dating someone 5 years older? i know my parents wouldnt have been thrilled had my sister done the same at her age,

4) my ex still works there and i think shes still got a thing for me, (i've made it clear nothings ever gonna happen tho)

thats about it for now, i just want to hear from anyone whos ever been in a simillar situation and how they delt with it/how there relationship coped?

thanks
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd say the age gap thing wouldn't be a big deal depending on how mature a 16 year old she is... Some girls are really mature by that age and would be ready for an adult relationship; some wouldn't be mature enough for you. So that really depends on the girl you like.
    As for her parents; same thing again - depends if they're very protective parents or fairly relaxed and you'd just have to find that out with time.

HOWEVER. I think your biggest problem by far is the working with her thing. You say you're her superior at work and I just don't think it's a good idea to be with someone that you're basically in charge of - as you said it can cause friction with the other people at work... and yes the fact that your ex also works there is another reason that it would be very difficult.

Although if you like her enough to want to just deal with these problems if they arrive and take whatever comes at you and your company don't have a rule that you can't go with people you're in charge of; go for it.
    But I'd say if your not crazy about this girl then leave it for now... Only make a move if you just can't not make a move.
  • Options
    well thinking on the ex thing, the way she behaved towards me during the latter stages of our relationship and the way shes acted since, (only becoming interested in me again now its quite clear im about as uninterested in her as its possible to be) i kinda think i owe myself a little selfishness where shes concerned

as to the how much i like her thing i honestly dont know yet, im a slow mover at the best of times and this initial chemistry has only been going about a week, (she hasnt been working here long) but initial chemistry is all it seems to be atm so i guess its wait and see if it fades or gets stronger,
  • Options
    Fair dos if you think your ex shouldn't have an issue with it... yes sometimes you need to be a little bit selfish.

A week isn't very long so I think the waiting to see thing is a good idea. Good luck with it all anyway.
  • Options
    I'd say if you go in with these preconceptions you might miss out on something really good.

I'd say just take it as it comes - if you're thinking this far whether there's a gap or not in any age so soon it's quite off putting for the lass you're trying to woo.

Deal with all the work nonsense later on and just have fun along the way. If I had a pound for all the times I'd wished I'd chased after someone I fancied who was at work with all this chemistry I'd be £4 richer. :razz:

Your ex will just need to appreciate that you aren't together for a reason and this will be a bit awkward for her but it'll be awkward anytime.
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    Hi,

I'm not sure if you've seen this article, but it may help answer some of your questions...

Age gaps
  • Options
    i say go for it. i like a guy at work and for about 5 months now we have just flirted and done nothing about it and it sucks cos i know we both like each other.

he is 17, i am 21. usually i would not go there at all and wouldnt even like someone who was 17 but i think meeting at work changes things.

go for it :)
  • Options
    i guess so, i mean its not the gap of 5 years but the fact that she is only 16, is that too young for me? Will she think its pervy?, i think she likes me but it could just be a bit of a crush. she is off sick with tonsilitis this week so i guess nothings gonna happen yet, im also pretty shy so it may take a while to work up to it especialy cos im nervous about the age thing, i suppose i will have to see what happens in between times,
  • Options
    I think the age gap isn't really something you should worry about... if she's mature enough for the kind of relationship you want you'll only find out along the way, there's no way of finding out beforehand, you just have to try and see what happens.

However, I do think the work situation is much more tricky, especially if you're her direct superior. You could get in trouble if people found out and I also think it may put a strain on the relationship (if one develops), you also being her boss...

I'm not saying that you shouldn't go for it, but do bear these things in mind of you do decide to.
  • Options
    well i may not be her boss for much longer as i am considering returning to uni next year so i would have to step down from my promotion, as far as i am aware so long as things remain "appropriate" in the work place my company takes a more relaxed view on this than some
  • Options
    This might be a bit late, but i was looking through the relationships area trying to find posts on this exact thing! I'm 17, my boyfriend is 23. Some people have a problem with that, but thats their opinion. my parents also have a problem with it although they are coming round to it. Not too sure how this may sound to others, but I consider myself to be quite mature, and the age gap has caused no problems what so ever between us.
    I think for you the problem would be work. Don't worry about the age gap. I know a married couple with 10 years between them, and its never caused a problem. I say go for it and dont worry. You might regret not doing it - you dont know what you will have missed!
  • Options
    yeah i went for it we've been together a month now, there are a few teething problems but nothing really caused by the age gap

all good so far :)