Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Paranoia? Or are they winding me up?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, forgive me for this post in advance. I have a mate, not my best mate but in my 'close circle' of 10 if you know what I mean. We've always got on really well and had a good laugh. He came out a few months ago, he got drunk and let it out and probably not the best way to come out (he tried to start a fight with a few of us and started insulting everyone, emotional night...) but regardless we just got on with it. In fact I'd go as far to say it's not changed a thing. Nearly.

He hasn't told his parents and keeps it under wraps but after his coming out I had a chat with him about stuff and we talked about it, just nice stuff like I was asking if he was going to tell his parents he said no. It was quite nice - not the kind of thing guys talk about normally lol. I let him in on a secret that I was lets say 'undecided' about my sexuality when I was younger and it was a big issue for me at the time, so although I'm not going through what he is, in some way I could relate. We were just letting each other in a bit I guess.

Anyway, after that all's well. I'm off to uni having a great time, texting my mates back home one night, and none of them are texting me back - fair enough. Then this guy texts me (they're in a group) and we start texting. And he starts getting a bit flirty (we've both been drinking) and I see it as just friendly and act a bit coy - like guys flirt a tiny bit with their female mates. Anyway, when he starts to proposition me via text even though I'm 100 miles away :p I just tell him to get some sleep cos he's drunk!

But then the next day one of my best friends who I used to go out with (who goes by the name of Laura ;) lol) starts texting me really pissed off. She said she was there when he was texting me (ok, I texted her first her bf [my best best mate] but they weren't texting back even though they were getting the texts - fair enough they don't have to respond but...) and reading through the texts and generally spying on the convo. Not that it was anything private but you catch my drift. Anyway she had a go saying I was leading him on - I got annoyed because there was no way I was - she got more annoyed - I accused her of taking the mick out of me because she knows I used to be 'undecided' (at this point I was upset, not thinking straight and thought she put him up to it as a laugh, in fact that all my friends were having a laugh about it), she got hugely defensive and said she couldn't believe how little I thought of my friends.

Anyway, spoke to my best mate (her boyfriend), he smoothed it over, basically involving him telling me he agreed with me but she was stressed about lots of crap and so to not drag it out and just say sorry and let it lie like it's my fault. But my best mate is sensible so I followed his advice :).

Spoke to the guy who came out again and things back to normal. No hint of attraction, so my opinion that we were just having a joke (that consisted of two texts) is confirmed. I'd been paranoid I had led him on.

Anyway, friday before I came back to uni, everyone got together. I couldn't go as I was leaving the next morning and had to pack. They had a good piss up, the guy and laura were there and then again I started getting the text messages which got gradually worse. This time, aware of all the trouble that happened last time and getting suspicious it was a wind up, I didn't humour him and just said no / ignored him.

Next day on facebook (this is where I get really paranoid) Laura and this guy are being best best chums sending messages saying 'love u' and mushy crap and reminissing about the party and all the antics. Now, it seems to me that they've got close, and this is my mind making it up - they're coming together to text me when they're drunk and fancy a laugh to make a fool out of me.

But obviously I can't say this in the open, but the only times he's been like this is when they're together. Them getting really close recently just makes me feel that my position as one of her best mates has been usurped and now she feels like having a joke. But I don't know, I can't decide. The time she blew up at me though that certainly wasn't best mate behaviour. And she's been up and down in the past.

But when I see her she's fine so it makes me feel guilty about even suspecting they're taking the mick. Because lets face it, it's not some innocent prank calling or texting my mum saying I fancy her or something silly like that, it involves real people and their feelings. This guy whose recently come out and may be confused as to who he has feelings for, and me who has been through turbulent patches and was just trying to be a sensitive mate but still a 'guy mate', because he is a laddish guy.

What do you reckon? Coincidence?

Comments

• Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    What do you reckon? Coincidence?

i reckon you analyze things to much. if you get any more texts like that just ignore them - if it gets a bit much tell them straight, but don't go trying to drive yourself insane by analyzing everything that happens. also why do you feel threatened ''they're together''?
  • Options
    I dunno, I guess part of me is bitter that I used to be quite close friends and now I'm never about cos I'm up in uni, and getting worried they all secretly hate me.

Mind you I'm getting more paranoid about that with all sorts of people, so it probably is down to me. Just in my heart, it never feels like that.
  • Options
    Paranoia is a very nasty thing to make a habbit off. You have to learn not to care, even if they are winding you up or not. Otherwise you'll end up questioning and thinking about everything more than you should and that will make ur life pretty difficult.