Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

not sleeping, any suggestions?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Last wednesday my car caught fire when i started it and I only just got out in time, since then I haven't been sleeping properly, only like 1 or 2 hours per night and im waking up exahusted. Do you think im not sleeping because of my car or is it just a coincidence that it started at the same time? Also what can I do to get a better nights sleep as im too tired the next day to do normal things like going to the gym etc. Would the dr be able to give me anything, as i dont want to waste his time if there is nothing he can do.

thanks

emz

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Are you having flashbacks or nightmares or feeling more stressed than usual?
    It might be worth seeing a doctor or going to a pharmacy to perhaps see if there is anything they can give you to help you sleep.
  • Options
    Have you tried anything like Nytol? I found it never helped, but it may help you.
  • Options
    Wow.

Maybe its shock? as JsT said, try going to the drs.
  • Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey A forgotten Angel,

Sorry to hear about your sleeping problem.

It sounds like there’s a good chance that the fire and your sleepless nights are related. Events like this can have a very big impact on your life even if you don’t realise it. Like JsT and Johnnyboy - V2.0 have said, it might be a good idea to go and visit your doctor who might prescribe your with some sleeping medication.

Here are a few things which might help you sleep better.

Firstly, avoid drinking coffee, tea or alcohol around bedtime. The first two contain caffeine, which will wake you up even more, and the alcohol may get you to sleep but then you will wake up feeling slightly hung-over and dehydrated.

Reading a book is a good way to get to sleep. Basically, you need to do anything that will get your mind off anything that may be distracting you and stop your mind from racing.

Sleeping tablets are not always the answer as they can be addictive. Most GP's will only give them out now for short-term use. Like Melian suggested Nytol might be a good idea.

Hope this helps :thumb:
  • Options
    if your not sleeping because your nerves are on edge / you keep thinking about what happened, then i'd say that it is linked. if something happens that scares you you are going to have a few sleepless nights - thats pretty normal. your not sleeping could just be a coincidence but i'd say if it doesn't stop in the next week or so think about talking to someone. yes. your gp could give you some sleeping pills to help you sleep in the short term so that could be an idea. as for trying to get to sleep, do something really relaxing for the hour or so before you go to bed, and may be try some hot milk with honey in it too 'cos thats supposed to work. :)
  • Options
    C Funk wrote: »
    Firstly, avoid drinking coffee, tea or alcohol around bedtime.

I'm sure I got advised to stop drinking coffee after 3pm.
    Sleeping tablets are not always the answer as they can be addictive. Most GP's will only give them out now for short-term use.

One GP I saw last year, once told me that he won't give them to me because it's better to sort out the underlying issue than just to rely on sleeping pills.

Because it seems as though yours isn't just a case of 'I can't sleep' (I mean there seems to be a reason for it) you might be refered to something like counselling.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    you might be refered to something like counselling.

:eek2: slow down your horses. it happened to her a week ago. its normal she'd be affected by it for a bit. there isn't a need to start in with counsellors/shrinks just yet...
  • Options
    thanks guys, I've made an appointment for tommorow, as I'm still not sleeping. Jst yes I am sort of having flashbacks, it happens randomly I'll wake up an think shit my car an realise that i've just been dreaming etc about it.

Thanks again

emz
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I think thats a fair reason for not sleeping well then.

Maybe see the doc and if they can give you a little something to knock you out a bit on a night. You know what they say, sleep deprivation is the ultimate torture!