Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Aggression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

Was wondering whether anyone had any tips, links, advice etc. for dealing with aggression, possibly stress too? Lately I've noticed a bit of an aggressive streak in me (a bit like seeing red and turning into a completely different person and wanting to take it out on something). Thankfully I'm not physically aggressive towards people, although there have been a couple of times when it's been close.

Sorry to paint the picture of me being a bit of a psycho - it's kind of surprised me, to be honest :(

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Get a punch bag - hit it reguarly and whenever you get pissed off

Generally do more exercise or weights
  • Options
    Hiya
    It can be quite scary when you notice a change in your behaviour, but it's also quite normal to have these kind of mood swings. The good thing is that you're aware of it and want to learn how to control it.

I'd suggest you take a look at the British Association of Anger Management website which might give you some advice.

Here are some other pages you might find helpful:

BBC's guide to controlling anger

NHS guide to anger management

TheSite's guide to coping with stress

Hope these help you
  • Options
    Mac Sami wrote: »
    Hi,

Was wondering whether anyone had any tips, links, advice etc. for dealing with aggression, possibly stress too? Lately I've noticed a bit of an aggressive streak in me (a bit like seeing red and turning into a completely different person and wanting to take it out on something). Thankfully I'm not physically aggressive towards people, although there have been a couple of times when it's been close.

Sorry to paint the picture of me being a bit of a psycho - it's kind of surprised me, to be honest :(

Thanks.

Aggressive streaks often arise from deep-rooted anxieties (stress?) elsewhere in your life that you are are often unaware of or are unprepared to deal with.

If the anxiety is not dealt with sufficiently, when you do explode, you do so with particular venom because the added frustration of your unresolved issues come out at the same time.

So firstly, try and work out where the unhappiness currently lies in your life - and take steps to change it.
  • Options
    I've found in myself I've been more volatile recently - more quick to snap and speak my mind negatively, say things I don't mean and to boil inside a lot more. A lot of it has been down to stress - finding I'm not relaxed and am feeling anxious and stressed all the time.

I've found that taking time out to relax, or sitting down and explaining to my closer friends that I'm feeling pretty short tempered has alleviated some of it - that they're more understanding and making everything a bit easier around me, not burdening me and moaning about everything around me.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies. It probably is stress related, come to think of it - so I'll definitely check out the links etc, and see where I go from here :)
  • Options
    get your arse down the gym and do a thorougher work out - it'll help i'm sure.
  • Options
    I don't think the punch bag is the best solution. Taking up a martial art or kick boxing can be very good and allows you to control and chanel that energy better. Also with the fear of getting the hell beaten out of you gives you the ambition to stay fit.
  • Options
    I've started taking up sports, and find that's helped a bit - my job is very sit down office orientated. Plus it means I'm keeping fit, too.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
  • Options
    Mac Sami wrote: »
    I've started taking up sports, and find that's helped a bit - my job is very sit down office orientated. Plus it means I'm keeping fit, too.

thats good :)