Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pregnancy & The Pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm a little confused about this. Obviously once you are on the pill the periods that you have aren't real periods, the break you have is just to make being on the pill feel more natural for the woman.

If they aren't real periods then if you become pregnant when you have the week break will your period just not come like it would if you weren't on the pill or will you carrying on bleeding?

The baby needs all the lining you lose during your period to grown etc though so I'm a little confused :blush: I probably know the answer but I get paranoid that if I become pregnant I may never know, so it's more a case of easing my mind. It's a stupid question I know :blush:

Thanks though for any replies :)

Comments

• Options
    I have been wondering this too.....................sorry i cant help though
  • Options
    If you are pregnant on the pill then your periods generally stop, I asked a doctor.

They are sort of real periods. They are caused by a change in hormone (stopping the pill for a few days), like real periods are caused by change in hormone.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    If you are pregnant on the pill then your periods generally stop, I asked a doctor.

So about 99% of the time you will have a missed period like you would normally if pregnant? Some women who aren't on the pill obviously can go through the pregnancy still having periods so either way it's pretty much the same whether you are on the pill or not then?
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    So about 99% of the time you will have a missed period like you would normally if pregnant? Some women who aren't on the pill obviously can go through the pregnancy still having periods so either way it's pretty much the same whether you are on the pill or not then?

Yeah thats what I was told. You can also miss periods on the pill if you lose a lot of weight or from stress etc