Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

good pre/post gym food

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
any ideas. am i right in thinking carbs before, proteins afterwards?

shoot!

Comments

• Options
    i always thought a banana was really good to eat before hand
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »
    any ideas. am i right in thinking carbs before, proteins afterwards?

shoot!

You need carbs both before and afterwards. Low GI approx an hour beforehand and High GI within 30 minutes (ideally) afterwards. Your post work out food should contain a ratio of approx 2:1 through 3:1 (high GI carbs:Protein).

It's always good to make sure you have consumed some protein within approx 2 hours of the start of your workout too.

If you are going to consume an 'energy' drink (not redbull, as in carbs energy like Lucozade sport) for a pre-workout carb hit (which would be High GI), aim to finish drinking it approx 15 minutes before the start of your workout. A good home made version of this would be some proper pure orange juice (think Tropicana) diluted with water (1:1 ratio) with some salt in (half a tea spoon or so). I tend to use sea salt for this.

I, personally, tend to have the low GI carbs an hour before as well as a High GI hit soon before a workout. Makes for optimum RAWR-ness.

Ta-da!
  • Options
    ok, i think i understand, cheers :D

so afterwards, things like pasta & jacket potatoes would be good.

but the trouble is for beforehands, i'm not the biggest fan of fruit or veg.
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »
    ok, i think i understand, cheers :D

so afterwards, things like pasta & jacket potatoes would be good.

but the trouble is for beforehands, i'm not the biggest fan of fruit or veg.

Think possibly low fat cottage cheese on granary bread for one hour before, or a chicken breast with similar. Or just a good old protein shake.

For pre-carbs, do the drink option as discussed. Drink perhaps 750mls starting an hour before up to 15 minutes before.

Afterwards, yeah, tuna pasta/jacket, or a jacket with beans - nice simple but effective solutions. Or again, just a good old protein shake + some form of carbs (assuming the protein shake doesn't have many/any).
  • Options
    ok, will try that, cheers :):)
  • Options
    C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
    Hey O_o

There's a really detailed response to this question here. It's pretty much along the same lines as what g angel has advised.

There's also loads of good articles about food and diet you could check out on TheSite.org to get some great tips on what to eat.

Happy training :thumb:
  • Options
    C Funk wrote: »
    Hey O_o

There's a really detailed response to this question here. It's pretty much along the same lines as what g angel has advised.

There's also loads of good articles about food and diet you could check out on TheSite.org to get some great tips on what to eat.

Happy training :thumb:

Aye - I guess the angle I didn't really cover is what type of and how intense your training (regime) is likely to be :)

Time limitations in the office, you see ;)