Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

He's just so horrible.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you do when you're 21, living at home but can't cope with a parent? I'm in between quitting uni and finding an alternative form of study/work and so I'm at home 24/7 at the moment. My dad works full time, he hates his job, works a mix of days and nights and is often home for 7 days at a time (when overtime lacks) and I'm finding it really hard to cope with him. He's bitter, cynical, controlling and permanently angry.

When he knows he's gotta work the next day he's foul - slams doors, and generally creates an atmosphere. Whenever I say something he doesn't agree with, he tells me I'm being stupid or storms off. Whenever I'm watching the telly he'll come in, look at the screen and then storm out - he never says 'do you mind if I put the footy on' or anything, just silence and slams.
When you're in the car with him, he drives like a maniac, and calls everyone twots because they 'don't think fast enough, and shouldn't be on the road'.
He controls everything, yet complains that he doesn't get a say in anything. He's arrogant and thinks that everyone else is less intelligent and/or important.

He's judgemental; hates the fact that I watch reality tv and calls it 'tv for sun readers' and judges me for eating white bread when he eats brown bread because it's healthier (then cooks 2 whole pizzas to take to work).
It's all about HIM. Me and mum aren't allowed to go on the grass in the garden in winter because it's muddy. We're not allowed to put lights outside the house at christmas, because he thinks it's tacky. We're not allowed to turn the heating up - he says we should just put a jumper on.

I'm just so fed up with it all. He brings the whole atmosphere down, upsets me with his judgmental and cynical views and I'm finding it hard to cope. Mum's used to it, she's coped for 20 years - now she just ignores it, but I'm struggling. I don't think anyone can offer much advice, I suppose I just needed to get it out....

Comments

• Options
    He is obviously very unhappy with his life and he is unfairly taking it out on his family.

I presume that you can't talk to him about it and tell him he is causing the disintegration of the family?
  • Options
    Whenever we mention how he's behaving, he turns it round to us saying we're being silly and makes a joke out of it. He's so stubborn he thinks he's perfect and the rest of us are the ones with the problems.

I'm just finding it hard to stop being so negative myself; when you're around someone who's negative 99% of the time, it's hard to not let it affect you.
  • Options
    Get yourself out before he turns you into a bitter cow too, my Mum was a nightmare to live with, and even now I don't live with her she phones me up to yell about stuff that's way out of my control, like her phone bill (I don't use her phone, I don't live there) and expects me to make it all better. Some parents just can't be pacified... move out as soon as you can.
  • Options
    I have no way of supporting myself, I don't work and I've got no where else to go. I keep dreaming about having my own 1 bedroomed flat, but it's not financially viable; never had a job, still wanting to study for my degree. Home is the only option for the next 2/3 years at least.
  • Options
    What about putting your name down for a council flat? Did you manage to get any benefits? Could you get HB? You could get a room in a shared house...
  • Options
    If you aren't prepared to talk to him and make a list of grievances or something, then I'm sure if you wanted out badly enough you'd get a job to support yourself.

Your sanity comes before anyone, if you can't be strong for you then you won't be for anyone else.
  • Options
    Ilora-Danon my dad is pretty much the same as that and I understand how you feel, it's a complete nightmare. You can't even discuss the issue because well they won't listen.
    My dad only moved in with me and my mum a year ago, yeah after 20 years of not wanting to, he finally decided he was "ready" :rolleyes:
    You need to not let him bring him down, try and think positive and ignore what he does. It's hard but if you let it keep on affecting you it will drive you crazy!
    Could you not stay with a relative, if they live close by, just for a while and see how things go?
  • Options
    I can understand about the relationship with your dad. My mum and dad seperated because of how difficult he was to live with. Can you talk to your mum about it? I think the suggestion of staying with some relatives or friends for a bit is really good too. Gives you space and time to think of your options.
  • Options
    That all sounds rough.

Has he always been like this?
  • Options
    I think he's got worse recently; he hates work more since the management have gone down the pan and since he's become too old to find work elsewhere.
    He's always been difficult it's just that I'm old enough to have my own opinions and experiences of other people to know that he doesn't behave/think like most.

I suppose I've just gotta live with it. With any luck he'll win the lottery and move to Greece - it's where he wants to be.
  • Options
    He sounds pretty frustrated because of work but thats a bit unfair to take it out on the family.

I would try to talk to your mum in private, get her opinion on things and see where things go.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    Sounds frustrated and depressed to me, most people who are like that take it out on the people closest to them. Those who are close don't usually fight back too hard.

And it also sounds like you're taking out your frustration on him.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Sounds frustrated and depressed to me, most people who are like that take it out on the people closest to them. Those who are close don't usually fight back too hard.

And it also sounds like you're taking out your frustration on him.

:yes:

He might also be pissed off that you havent moved out yet.
    I know that sounds horrible but i think a lot of people would expect their little fledglings to fly the nest by now? I know I would.
  • Options
    That's the thing though - I'm coming into some compensation soon, which I was going to spend on a car, but I decided to put it into an ISA to keep as a deposit on a flat... I told my dad that and he pulled the car over and said 'you're not in any rush to go anywhere, you know that'.... I just can't make him out sometimes.
  • Options
    maybe hes just a weirdo, or as kermit said, depressed. Sounds like hes got something on his mind anyway
  • Options
    i dont know your personal situation, i dont want to advise you to get a part time job if you cant do it, but would you be able to get a part time job to move out? i know a few people who have managed to do it while at uni and although it is tough they have managed.