Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bone healing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(The title has probably made this thread sound a lot more interesting than it actually is but still..)

I broke my collar bone in september (came off a quad bike), since then its (supposedly) healed and ive been officially discharged from the hospital. Only it doesnt seem to have healed completely, i go to the gym quite a lot and i still cant do any kind of shoulder excersise or anything that puts pressure on that area without it feeling like its going to snap...basically, how long should it take to heal properly so i can get back on top form and back to building muscle?

Comments

• Options
    yeouch, I don't knowthe answer but I do remember a kid at school who was in and out of slings as his re-broke...
  • Options
    well I broke my collar bone when I was 13 and I'd say it healed fairly quickly, about 3 or 4 months, but I give it six months before really pushing it. :)
  • Options
    My brother 'broke' his collar bone skiing, and has had all sorts of problems since so it's worth keeping an eye on as there can sometimes be other underlying damage to the shoulder that doesn't show until much later.

Seem to remember it was 6 weeks of nothing for him, then slowly building things back up again.

Unless you completely smashed it you should expect to be able to start using it again, and building the strength back up. You do need to remember that all the time it was healing the muscle was probably wasting so it's asking too much of that poor battered joint to do the same as the other side.

That said, if you can't do any of the gym work on it, even with no weight then it's probably worth going to the doctor after Christmas. It may be that it needs some more attention, or simply you need some exercises and advice to strengthen the area again.
  • Options
    may be it didn't heal correctly in the first place?
    either way if its a problem you should get it seen to.
    14 months later it should have healed up fine tbh.
  • Options
    14 months? huh? i broke it in september...that would make it 4 months..
  • Options
    you know what would have solved this? if you hadn't been all blokey and machismotastic with the quad bike. ;)
  • Options
    Now where's the fun in that!? (besides non broken bones)
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    14 months? huh? i broke it in september...that would make it 4 months..

:yeees: i'm a bit miffed as to how i did that. oops.
  • Options
    I broke a bone in my foot about a year ago and it still hurts sometimes, i know that certain breaks often dont stop hurting, but the pain you described sounds more like you need to build the strength back up