Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to stop nail biting?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When you think of something to say or think about something, only to forget it minutes later? Pisses me off so much...

Saying that though, I've just remembered what I was going to say...

I've been told to stop biting my nails, but I just don't know how too! Does anyone have any ideas on how I can kick this horrid but long lived habit?

:banghead:

Comments

• Options
    you can buy stuff to put on your nails that make them taste bad which is meant to help you stop

ETA: Link to the kind of think im talking abouthttp://www.alltoiletries.com/shared/product.asp?ID=44983
  • Options
    I tried that stuff you put on your nails to stop you- I used to wash it off and started biting them again.

I think the best way is will power. :thumb:
  • Options
    Dog shit under your fingernails.
  • Options
    When I was in middle school, I was a nail biter. I started painting my nails around about then, and I haven't bitten my nails since. I think the idea of chipped nails put me off biting them lol.
  • Options
    I'm doing crap...
  • Options
    plasters on your fingers may be something to try
  • Options
    There used to be some foul stuff called Nail the Habit, came from places like superdrug. You put it on yoru fingers and tasted foul.

Getting a chunk of blue tack or plasticine to play with might also help, for lots of people it's stress/boredom thing so you need something else to do with your fingers.
  • Options
    yeah but i dont know about anyone else, but the taste although horrid isnt really unbearable. in fact i quite liked the smell :D

:lol:

The point is the stuff is there as a REMINDER that you should stop biting your nails - not as a personal CHALLENGE to see if you can still rip off your nails while pulling faces like you're licking your dog's balls!
  • Options
    yeah but i dont know about anyone else, but the taste although horrid isnt really unbearable. in fact i quite liked the smell :D

:yes:

Sadly enough, I was quite used to it after a year or three of trying, and failing to stop biting my nails. Although , it got all over my fingertips, thus when I was eating it tasted nasty :yuck:

I think that I'd put it on my nails, not bite them when it was on..But then the second I stopped applying it often - then I'd simply go back to square one!! :lol:

I once heard about some gel stuff you put on yours to let them grow - it makes them really hard so you can't bite them. But I've no idea where you can get that from!
  • Options
    For years I tried both willpower and and the awful tasting stuff on my nails and nothing worked then about 4 years ago I suddeny just stopped biting them. I can't remember the moment I stopped I just stopped. I haven't bitten them since. Maybe it's the fact I stopped thinking about biting my nails that it stopped.
  • Options
    How about falsies? You would't be biting your nails, so they could have a chance to grow, and you could get those real nasty ones that look about an inch thick so you'd probably break a tooth trying to bite one. Plus the taste of whatever they are made out of might start putting you off!
  • Options
    I'd go with what Simba said, have false nails, go to a salon and have gel nails if possible as they are kinder to your nails, it will give yours a chance to grow and you will get out of the habit of biting them.
  • Options
    hmm yeah but if u get false nails, chances are that they will ruin ur real nails. so youd have to keep on using false ones and i personally dont think they look very nice. the gel ones u can get which have to be applied professionally, practically rip off ur nail they are so bad for them.

I had gel nails for 5 months as I'd started to bite mine again after years, they didnt damage my nails at all, now mine are getting longer and are back to the natural nail.
  • Options
    whats wrong with biting them?