Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My question about detaining terrorist suspects without charge

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My question about detaining terrorist suspects without charge is ... instead of alway asking for it to be made longer and longer .. how come no one ever asks for extra resources for the police, MI5, CID, etc to be able to do whatever they need to do sooner?

Surely if they have someone and they think maybe they know of a bomb that will go off in the next 2 weeks - there's not much point having the ability to hold them for 42 days instead of 28 or whatever it currently is.

Seems like we waste so much time debating back on forth on making the number of days longer and longer in parliament without any thought being put into dealing with things in a more timely manner. By actually giving the police more time to hold people we're also saying - take your time - there's no hurry.

Comments

• Options
    Because politicians can't be arsed to provide the extra funds, that's why. They'd far prefer to see the money going into their bank accounts through their faked expenses claims - does anyone seriously believe that some MPs have travelled to the moon and back within a year? - rather than letting the police have more resources.
  • Options
    The Police and MI5 have had over the Labour term absolutely massive increases in funding, MI5 is soon to have doubled in size since Sept 11th.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    The Police and MI5 have had over the Labour term absolutely massive increases in funding, MI5 is soon to have doubled in size since Sept 11th.
    So why then, won't the government give our police officers their full pay rise? It's going to cost around £30million. They can find £6billion and counting to blow the shit out of Iraq, but not £30million to pay our cops. Hazel Blears was pathetic on Question Time last night when she whinged about inflation being in double figures when the Tories were in power. She seemed to seriously suggest that, were the Government to fork out £30million on coppers salaries, inflation would shoot up to 15% once again, and millions would be plunged into negative equity. Surely the people of Salford can elect someone better than this as their MP?

And let's look at other detention rates round the world. The USA can keep them for five days, if I remember correctly. Why can they do the job in five days, where ours are whinging they can't do it in four weeks?
  • Options

I saw a job advert in the newspaper for an Arabic translator in MI5 working in central London and the pay I can't remember quite what it was but it was pretty bad - something a lot less then national average wage - which considering the importance of the job, the fact it's in central London and your average University graduate leaver ain't going to be qualified for the job was pitiful.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    So why then, won't the government give our police officers their full pay rise? It's going to cost around £30million. They can find £6billion and counting to blow the shit out of Iraq, but not £30million to pay our cops. Hazel Blears was pathetic on Question Time last night when she whinged about inflation being in double figures when the Tories were in power. She seemed to seriously suggest that, were the Government to fork out £30million on coppers salaries, inflation would shoot up to 15% once again, and millions would be plunged into negative equity. Surely the people of Salford can elect someone better than this as their MP?

And let's look at other detention rates round the world. The USA can keep them for five days, if I remember correctly. Why can they do the job in five days, where ours are whinging they can't do it in four weeks?

First and foremost its important to know this have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with inflation and it has everything to do with the government pissing away billions of pounds on Northern Rock.

They are finding that spending £15bn or so on one bank means their coffers are quite a bit emptier than they hoped so they are cutting corners elsewhere.

As for the US, how long they can hold someone depends entirely where they are and who they are. And given how effective they have got at just railroading people into prison they dont have to bother waiting for proper evidence or police work.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I saw a job advert in the newspaper for an Arabic translator in MI5 working in central London and the pay I can't remember quite what it was but it was pretty bad - something a lot less then national average wage - which considering the importance of the job, the fact it's in central London and your average University graduate leaver ain't going to be qualified for the job was pitiful.

I doubt it was a full time post then, other jobs I've seen them advertise were paid rather well.
  • Options
    They pay normal civil service rates I think. Public sector is never as well paid as the private.
  • Options
    They pay normal civil service rates I think. Public sector is never as well paid as the private.

Quite often shorter hours and better benefits though.
  • Options
    Quite often shorter hours and better benefits though.

Longer holidays as well :D
  • Options
    Longer holidays as well :D

Indeed, 27 or more is the norm.
  • Options
    Because politicians can't be arsed to provide the extra funds, that's why. They'd far prefer to see the money going into their bank accounts through their faked expenses claims - does anyone seriously believe that some MPs have travelled to the moon and back within a year? - rather than letting the police have more resources.

:eek2:

You really do have some strange ideas inside that head of yours.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    :eek2: You really do have some strange ideas inside that head of yours.
    Are you seriously telling me that you can look at MPs expenses claims and think everything's in order? And in what other profession do they get a 20p per mile allowance if they use bicycles?
  • Options
    Are you seriously telling me that you can look at MPs expenses claims and think everything's in order? And in what other profession do they get a 20p per mile allowance if they use bicycles?

You're forgetting the petrol for the two Range Rovers that have to follow them. :p
  • Options
    You're forgetting the petrol for the two Range Rovers that have to follow them. :p
    Ah yes, one of which is most likely carrying David Cameron's suitcase. What the other one carries - well, that boggles the mind!
  • Options

We haven't seen any of that extra cash, we get the majority of our money from the council tax.
    I suspect it's been used to set up audit teams and other bean counting departments.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    We haven't seen any of that extra cash, we get the majority of our money from the council tax.
    I suspect it's been used to set up audit teams and other bean counting departments.

There are a lot more coppers now than there was before Labour got into power arent there? Plus all those community support officers.
  • Options

No but to soley blame the lack of resources for the police on innacurracies with MP expenses makes you a big eejit, ya big eejit!
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    No but to soley blame the lack of resources for the police on innacurracies with MP expenses makes you a big eejit, ya big eejit!
    And where did I imply that?
  • Options
    There are a lot more coppers now than there was before Labour got into power arent there? Plus all those community support officers.

There's also an ever increased amount of paperwork that can take a PC or PCSO off the street for 3/4 hours just to deal with an arrest for a straight forward theft.
    And most of the extra staff haven't yet found their way to the rural areas, they've gone straight to the city centres, and straight into special "squads" that you never see.

As an example, the last friday night I worked we had 4 PC's and 3 PCSO's to cover a population of 125,000 and an area of 180 sq miles. As of 10pm when I was supposed to have gone off duty, I got stuck with a street fight. 2 of those PC's were comitted with an arrest, 1 of them had gone off duty and 2 of the PCSO's had as well. That left myself and a PC to deal with a potentially dangerous situation. So no, there aren't extra coppers on THE STREET, they're all working 9-5 somewhere else.
  • Options

20p per mile is the tax allowable level of claimable expenses from HMRC when you travel by bike.