Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

British women are a bunch of mingers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you respond to this article ladies? This American man thinks that there's no contest between British and American women, and that Brits just don't have a clue when it comes to appearances.

Some choice quotes:
I am a massive fan of British women. UK girls, in my opinion, are the greatest natural beauties in the world . . . when they’re 17 or 18 years old. The girls I was surrounded by when I was a teenager were sublime roses with lustrous hair, flawless skin, bright eyes and lithe, athletic bodies. They dressed as if there would be a prize at the end of the night for the girl wearing the least. I then went away to Philadelphia for university. Four years later, I came back and wondered: “What the hell happened to all the beautiful girls I knew?” My first assumption was that one half of them had eaten the other half and washed them down with a crate of lager. These girls looked phenomenal when looking good took no effort. But when British women get to the age where they have to make an effort, they appear unable, or uninterested, in rising to the challenge.
An informal poll of my US female friends revealed that they spend roughly $700 (£350) a month on what they consider standard obligatory beauty maintenance......I’m not sure any of my British female friends spends £700 during an entire year on her appearance. American women see these costs as a simple and sensible investment in their future.
surely, the only time she’d seen the inside of a gym was to ask directions to the nearest pub.
I blame the parents. British mothers do not instruct their daughters the way American mothers do. In the US, beauty treatments appear to be a large part of their growing-up experience.
Regardless of cost, change your hairstyle from the one you wore to your debutante ball. It is not an admission of defeat.

Are you going to stand for this ladies? :p

Comments

• Options
    :lol: what a load of bollocks.

As if spending loads of money on "obligatory beauty maintenance" is anything to be proud of, shout about and aspire to! As if a 22 year old British women should or NEEDS to spend 350 a month maintaining herself so she's deemed fit to be in the presence of men. Away and shite.

As for American women. Well, I don't have a wealth of experience but I do know there's a world of difference between Hollywood's American woman and the women in the queue to pay for petrol in Platteville, Wisconsin (I should know!).

It goes without saying... the only place I've ever felt like a hideous sideshow freak was in Sweden. Now THERE is a place where people are extraordinarily gorgeous. They don't seem to spend a lot of time and money making themselves that way, either...
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    I second the :lol:

What the hell would you spend £350 a month on? Even if you had an all-over wax, manicure, pedicure, spray tan etc, I can't see it coming to much more than £100? Hair, maybe? But if you had your hair cut and dyed every month, would you have any hair left?

However, if anyone would like to donate £350 a month to me to help investigate, I would be most willing to participate. In the name of social research, of course. :angel:
  • Options
    The author is a screenwriter (single)

Oh what a surprise. His writing style is shit too.
  • Options
    Haha, what a joke :D
  • Options
    Maybe when men start spending that much money on looking good... Actually, no, I'll just laugh.
  • Options
    Errr who has £350 a month to spend on beauty stuff - thats more than my entire budget a month for food and going out (and I don't think i earn that little) and $700 a month isn't exactly peanuts for american women either.

I'd obvously love to be able to afford to have a manicure once a week, my hair done once a month, a facial, join a nice gym etc etc

But a quick look on a spa website in london i could easily spend £5-600 a month on all of this and i'd love to - but i have to eat and put a roof over my head!
  • Options
    I like this line myself "As an experiment, I went for a manicure and pedicure in Chelsea."

Just as an experiment of course..
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    So I take it you don't agree then? :p
    briggi wrote: »
    It goes without saying... the only place I've ever felt like a hideous sideshow freak was in Sweden. Now THERE is a place where people are extraordinarily gorgeous. They don't seem to spend a lot of time and money making themselves that way, either...
    :chin: Hmm, I shall have to visit this mystical land of the supermodels sometime. I got a great email once, comparing a Swedish nightclub to a British one, with the Swedish one full of perfect blonde women in hardly any clothes at all, and the British one was like the Jeremy Kyle Christmas party. But I imagine I'd feel equally out of sorts with all those tall Swedish blokes to compete with.

On a serious note, I think the main thing about Britain compared to America, is that a woman can be rich and successful even in something like acting, without needing to look perfect all the time. That's not to say that image isn't important still, but I think American girls in this sort of industry need to spend that sort of cash on beauty regimes (when you add in designer clothes, jewellery and cosmetic surgery, it's not that much). We should feel sorry for them really.
  • Options
    There are fat, ugly and unkempt women all over the place; England AND America. Pot, kettle black.
  • Options
    Hes completely correct. Exhibit A

joking guys
  • Options
    Having said that - I've always had this view [sterotypical I know] of the US being more about image than substance.

Funnily enough I've often found Amricans vacuous to a large extent.
  • Options
    I think it's just a case of the fact that America is about glitz and the image it can portray, but go past the women that are in the limelight and focus on normal american women then they are no different to women in the UK, some make and effort and some don't.
    But not many american or uk women could ever spend £350 pm on beauty treatments.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    They make the same case in an episode of Family Guy ;)
    Meg: You could kill all the girls who are prettier than me.
    Death: Well, that would just leave England.

But I'm from the midwest where men are men and women are men, and from pictures I"ve seen on here of you folk I can definaly disagree :p
  • Options
    Ugh, it's opinions of pigs like him that don't help womens self esteem issues. I don't know what he's talking about, when I've been in america most women were sizes 14+. What an idiot. Of course, we all must spend tons of money getting plucked, waxed, scrubbed and sprayed to perfection. Then spend every other minute burning off all of those calories - how dare we get fat? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I wonder if it's a humourous text. I mean, he IS a comdey writer as far as I could tell.

And I also wonder why this thought seems not to have entered anyone else's head.
  • Options
    And I also wonder why this thought seems not to have entered anyone else's head.

I thought everyone knew that?
  • Options
    scenario: Jeremy Kyle

Gok Wan vs 'article writer'
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radioassets/photos/2007/5/22/20057_2.jpg ?

I hope she's not the proof that the article writer is wrong, she looks a bit like transvistite-y! :p
  • Options
    a bit of professional make-up and hair extensions and she'd fit well into LA!
  • Options
    You know it! She could hang out with http://stevevicious.weblogs.us/wp-content/tabitha_stevens.jpg her (? :p) and they could go clubbing.
  • Options
    I wonder if it's a humourous text. I mean, he IS a comdey writer as far as I could tell.

A comedy article should be amusing-the only thing funny about that one is the writer himself. I think it is supposed to be but he has failed miserably if you ask me.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radioassets/photos/2007/5/22/20057_2.jpg ?

I hope she's not the proof that the article writer is wrong, she looks a bit like transvistite-y! :p

That's Jo Whiley. She's a Radio 1 DJ.
  • Options
    Well then who is this Gok Wan person? When I googled it thats who came up :(
  • Options
    Well then who is this Gok Wan person? When I googled it thats who came up :(

Ha, no the man in the picture is Gok Wan. The woman is Jo Whiley. Hehe.
  • Options
    Oh, I thought they were both women, but I was talking about the dark haird person. I just picked the first picture of that person didn't think about the blonde! She is nice looking, not transvistit-y at all, though now I guess I know why the other one struck me as that :p
  • Options
    hahaha that changes the entire meaning of our chat :lol: