Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tongue Tie

Has anyone had any experience with tongue tie?
My 2 months old baby (to the day) has it and I'm not sure whether having it cut is a good idea as she has become very distressed from immunisations, not sure she'd like being cut too!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've seen a few babies with it at work. There is nothing to say that she should or should not have it corrected, at the end of the day it is down to parental choice. As long as she is feeding well, and thriving the choice is purely yours. You should probably make an appointment with your GP to discuss your options, and find out more about the procedure. That way you can make a balanced decision about what is right for you and your baby :thumb:
  • Options
    Thanks. I don't suppose you know whether it's something which commonly corrects itself?
    It doesn't seem to be bothering her feeding, don't want it to affect her speech but it'll be a case of wait and see so not sure what the best choice is.
  • Options
    I've seen a few babies with it at work. There is nothing to say that she should or should not have it corrected, at the end of the day it is down to parental choice. As long as she is feeding well, and thriving the choice is purely yours. You should probably make an appointment with your GP to discuss your options, and find out more about the procedure. That way you can make a balanced decision about what is right for you and your baby :thumb:

:thumb:

Excellent advice.
  • Options
    And while no one will be able to give you a definite answer, your GP may be able to discuss the extent of the tongue tie with and and thus how likely it is to affect her speech.

Only thing possibly worth considering is if it was corrected now, then the child would probably have no memory of any upset/trauma of it, whereas if it's left until it's definitely affecting speech it may be more upsetting and the affects last longer.

On the flip side, an older child may cope better.

ETA, depending on yor GP/Practise Nurse/Midwife/Health Visitor you may find one is far more useful than the rest.