Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mobile new contract

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Been on an 02 contract for 12 months now.

Started off with 400mins 100 texts for £35 a month with £235 cashback over the 12months. Was awful though, most months bills were £50/£60 because of texts.

I upgraded it in month 9 to £40 a month for 600mins and 500 texts.

Just rang up to cancel because I've only got til early Jan til the 12 months are over and I've barted with them for 400mins 1000 texts and a sony ericson k850i for £20 a month. (This 18 months)

I get 14 days to change my mind.

What does anyone recon? Good deal or have I been done??

Comments

• Options
    I hate mobile contracts, sometimes pay as you go is better.

I put £30 on my phone on Orange and I get 1000 free messages and use the £30 on calls lol.
  • Options
    I don't think contracts are best value unless you really use the phone a lot. Most phone contracts are pretty expensive and they get you sucked in with the latest phone cheap. You normally pay through the nose for it.

I don't think that 18 month contracts are a very good idea either, it's a very long time to commit to a financial contract. But that's my debt counsellor talk over, I actually don't think it's too bad a deal as deals go.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I don't think contracts are best value unless you really use the phone a lot.

Yup I do.
  • Options
    Have to say, that it sounds like a pretty good deal if your phone use is likely to stay roughly as it is.

You get more than what you used to, and you were going over what you used to get, and it will cost you less.
  • Options
    -kenny- wrote: »
    o2 have cracking tariffs at the moment with choices btw unlimited o2 calls and unlimited texts... unbeatable

hah you on commission there or something? ;)
  • Options
    I'm on an okay contract with Orange, unlimited texts and 180 minutes of call time. I hardly ever make calls so I never use them up. Also I traded in my old phone for £100 and then Orange just use that money to pay my bills for the next 4 months.
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    I'm on an okay contract with Orange, unlimited texts and 180 minutes of call time. I hardly ever make calls so I never use them up. Also I traded in my old phone for £100 and then Orange just use that money to pay my bills for the next 4 months.

How much is that a month if you dont mind me asking?
  • Options
    It's £30 a month, sorry lol forgot to mention that before, and it's an 18 month contract. I think it's the Dolphin one :chin:
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    It's £30 a month, sorry lol forgot to mention that before, and it's an 18 month contract. I think it's the Dolphin one :chin:

that seems a bit poo though when for another £5 a month you could get 500 minutes instead of 180 free! (plus unlimtited texts of course) Thats what my boyfriends on, dolphin 35 he did the whole trade your phone in for £100 quid credit to your account aswell, not bad value.
  • Options
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    that seems a bit poo though when for another £5 a month you could get 500 minutes instead of 180 free!

600 if you do it online ;)
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    600 if you do it online ;)

i know thats what we got his sister to do :p we found that out afterwards lol, but he got £100 for his phone which probably works out better as he never goes over 500 mins.
  • Options
    Got my sony erricson k850i today

its mint :D
  • Options
    I don't need a phone so I'm on the sim only deal. £15 a month for 200mins and 200 texts. Suits me and I can cancel at any time without notice as i'm out of contract.

Yours sounds like a good offer, just don't like the idea of 18 month contracts, they're a swizz, especially when you consider your phone only has a 12 month warranty. What happens for the last 6 months if your top of the line phone breaks.....?
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I don't need a phone so I'm on the sim only deal. £15 a month for 200mins and 200 texts. Suits me and I can cancel at any time without notice as i'm out of contract.

Yours sounds like a good offer, just don't like the idea of 18 month contracts, they're a swizz, especially when you consider your phone only has a 12 month warranty. What happens for the last 6 months if your top of the line phone breaks.....?

I'd threaten to cancel (which you can do then and pay it off) and chances are theyd give me a new one.

Its like syk boxes. If it break ring em to cancel and to keep you theyll give you a new free one :D