Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

psoriasis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone else have this? I have several patches, luckily they are easily hidden, I have a large patch at the back of my scalp, one on my knee, another on the bottom of my other leg and a bit on my elbows.
I have a cream, it does ease it but I have to use it every day and as soon as I forget it will flare up. It's not uncomfortable except for the bit on my scalp which can itch. I've heard of treating it with pills and injections. Has anyone has these and do they work? I'm thinking of going back to the docs and asking because I'm getting more patches and they're getting me down. :(

Comments

• Options
    A Guy I knew when I was young had it, and his turned out to be related to certain foods. Can't for the life of me remember what though. Might be worth asking about what may be causing or aggrevating it if you go back to the doctor. Everyone's differenct, but for him cutting out whatever it was made a huge difference.
  • Options
    Did he have some kind of test for it?
  • Options
    For some reason I think it was more a trial and error/elimanation type diet thing rather than a test.

Sorry, it was years back when we were at Junior school.
  • Options
    I hope I don't have to do that, I'm too impatient and I love my food! Oh well, I will go back and ask about alternatives because the cream only does so much. I want to keep it under control without slapping cream on it every day which is messy and takes ages to sink in and isn't that good.
    It's such a horrible thing to have :(
  • Options
    My doctor has kept telling me that it isn't related to food, but I don't believe her. I don't think that food is what triggers it in the first place, but I do believe some types of food can aggrevate it significantly. From what I've read you have to be quite strict with the elimination though, so requires quite a bit of will power (cut out tomatoes, red peppers, potatoes, aubergines, dairy, etc.).
    They'll only give you biological treatment (injections) if its quite bad.

Best thing ever, but quite expensive, is the Dead Sea Treatment. Clears it up all naturally.
  • Options
    Ooh how does that dead sea treatment work?
  • Options
    You travel to the dead sea and basically spend as much time as possible (depending on how bad your condition is) of sunbathing and dipping in the sea. Due to its unique climate it somehow has an effect that can beat most drugs out there.
  • Options
    Oats. Known a few people with skin complaints and the majority have said oats help alleviate the problem.

Get a square of muslin/gauze, put a handful of oats in (porridge is good) and tie it up. Hang it over the taps so the water flows through it the next time you have a bath.
  • Options
    My mum has it and recently I found a very small red flakey patch on me and I'm really sure that it's going to be psoriasis, I'm gutted!

Docs this week to find out for sure..
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    You travel to the dead sea and basically spend as much time as possible (depending on how bad your condition is) of sunbathing and dipping in the sea. Due to its unique climate it somehow has an effect that can beat most drugs out there.

could make a holiday of that! I can dream. Aparrantly its alot saltier than the other seas - might be why?
  • Options
    I've had it since birth. Scalp, face, eyes, arms, legs, tummy, back, hands, feet - you name it, I've psoriasis there at some point.
    I've been on most creams that are available - atm I'm on a steroid cream for the patches on my eyelid. It works for a while, then your skin ends up hating it.

Tbh I've not heard about injections or anything, and it doesn't sound like a very promising route anyway - as there isn't a cure for it, you can only alleviate the itching/soreness in the short term.

What makes my psoriasis worse is stress, anxiety and alcohol, oh and the winter (central heating).