Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Feeling Really Low & Down

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know christmas is supposed to be the festive spirit and where everyone shud be happy and it shud be a time that u look forward to but to be honest i cant stand the prospect of the day on my own. The Last 5 or 6 Xmas's i have been with a partner and it just feels so shit this christmas. I lay in bed wanting to fall asleep and waking up after Boxing Day.

I have been feeling so low and depressed and recently feeling pretty suicidal since having the shit done on me by a girl who i really like and thought we was moving as a relationship to find out shes pregnant by another lad. its got to the point now where i find it hard to really trust women and really do find it hard to be happy anymore. I am so low in self confidence espcially when i thought i was regaining it.

Do people suggest that i go and seek medical help or ride the storm? Any help appreciated.

Thanks Peeps x

Comments

• Options
    I think if you're experiencing suicidal feelings maybe you do need some support.

Do you have many friends or family?
  • Options
    yeah i got good family and friends and they will say it will get easier and stuff but it just feels like every day is just getting harder and harder.
  • Options
    that must have been a terrible shock for you, was it very recent?
  • Options
    Yeah it was about a month ago, totally shattered my world and a bit more, it was a proper shock to the system, one of them times when ya get that proper sick feeling in ya stomach and u dont know what to do but panic.
  • Options
    I think christmas is an especially difficult time for a lot of people. We're all faced with this image of the perfect family christmas with love and laughter and joy all around, but tbh, for a hell of a lot of people, that just isnt the reality at all.

Do you have other people in your life you have been able to talk to?
  • Options
    I think u hit the nail on the end about how its supposed to be one big happy family thing and i tbh i never had that big happy family christmas and i get jelous of people who do have that big family thing. I also pissed off bout the woman aswell lol. I feel the only way im going to enjoy xmas is if i totally get out of my face on drink and cant remember the bloody thing. (I sound Like A Scrooge) bang head

I have spoke to my friend who i feel is closest to me and he said the normal things like we are all here for u and if it does get too much then u can come to mine kinda thing. I just am sick of christmas and it hasnt even started.

I think alot of it is i had a plan this year how i wanted to be at the end of it and i am no closer to that plan and its kinda got me down :(..i think im gonna seek some kind of professional help!! This feeling is doing my head in...bang head
  • Options
    Is there anyone else you can plan to spend Christmas with so you're not on your own? Although it won't be the same as being with your ex, at least you won't be on your own and it'll take your mind off him.

If not, maybe you could do something different. Many people who are on their own at Christmas choose do to some volunteering, so they're helping others and again taking their mind off things and keeping busy. Check out the ideas on our sister site, do-it for ways to volunteer at Christmas.

Ultimately, though, if you're feeling low and suicidal, it's worth talking to someone. If you don't want to go to your GP, you could call a helpline like Samaritans, Sane or Supportline. Like the others said, it's common to feel this way at Christmas, and these helplines receive more calls at this time of year. So they're well prepared to help you with how you're feeling.

Here are the details:

SupportLine
    Web: www.supportline.org.uk
    Tel: 020 8554 9004

Saneline
    Web: www.sane.org.uk
    Tel: 0845 767 8000

Samaritans
    Web: www.samaritans.org.uk
    Tel: 08457 909090
    Email: jo@samaritans.org
    Text: 07725 909090

Take care x
  • Options
    This is a bit of a daft question, but do you go to church? That's one way of making sure you have people around on Christmas Day.

I hope you feel better soon - I know the feeling; I used to loathe being single at Christmas and it made my depression almost unbearable.

x