Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I think therfore I am

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think I'm depressed, now I dont want to go to the docs to have him sit me down and say - yes you are depressed heres some diazepam because thats not how I want things to be. I want a solution without doctors, maybe there is a way but Im not finding it on my own. There is a solution isnt there?

o22o

Comments

• Options
    You are right - drugs are not neccessarily the answer.

It is very difficult (or impossible) to self-help your way out of depression. Usually the best way, is to have that 'epiphany' via conversation with a counsellor as they are practiced in drawing out the feelings and thoughts that you did not know were actually there.

Your doctor should be able to put you in touch with a counsellor and should only offer drugs as a last call.
  • Options
    if your depressed because of the environment your in well then why dont you do something to change it...think positivley about changing your situation....there is a lot more to life than hanging about wondering if you are depressed or not.....if you get to the point where you feel you just really need to talk to someone book a session with a counsellor they will help you more than you can imagine....without the use of drugs!:thumb:
  • Options
    Hi o22o

This article on Understanding Depression outlines the signs, causes and treatments.

It's not just medicines that are used to treat depression, take a look at this info on talking treatments to find out about things like CBT and counselling, which can be really helpful. The most important thing is to get the treatment that suits you best. If you do go to your GP, explain that you'd rather not take antidepressants at the moment and ask them about the other options available.

You might find it useful to talk to someone else before going to your GP - there are lots of helplines you could call to find out more about depression.

Try:

Saneline
    Offers practical information and emotional support to anybody affected by mental health problems.
    Tel: 0845 767 8000

Samaritans
    This is a sympathetic, round-the-clock ear for anyone who needs to talk.
    Tel: 08457 909090

Depression Alliance
    Find out about local support groups in your area.
    Tel: 0845 123 2320
  • Options
    As some of the above have said, looking at what you can change to stop you feeling depressed is worth a shot, if thats not it then a therapist could help.
  • Options
    I dont think its impossible, but it would be hard to relieve depression without medication.

You can certainly do it. I'm living proof of that. For me depression is all in the mind, its more about understanding the mind than medication.

If you do some research on the internet you will find loads of info about dealing with depression without medication.

Good luck :thumb: