Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Question About MSG

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
According to some stuff I printed off the internet a while back, MSG is derived from wheat. I'm also sure that various companies have states on their crisps that their crisps contain MSG, which is derived from wheat.

However, I was going through one of the cupboards of food last night to look for something to eat and always have to read the label unless it clearly states that it's free from wheat/made from something that has nothing to do with wheat. (ie, it's made with oats or corn)

So anway, I was reading the information on the back of some crisps and it said that they contain MSG. Underneath that, there was a tick next to the words 'suitable for coeliacs', which I'm sure I got told was something related to gluten sensitivity.

My question is, does anyone know if MSG is actually derived from wheat? I'm slightly confused now and I'm sure that's what I reacted to earlier today.

Comments

• Options
    I found this
    Note that MSG and Hydrolsed protein can be derived from wheat but the hydrolysis breaks down the offending protein so it is unlikely to cause problems unless you are very sensitive.

From here.
  • Options
    i think its made from sugar
  • Options
    Thank you.