Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

TFL to remove all adverts from Tube trains

Saw on my way home today that Transport for London, as part of a £10bn refurb are removing all adverts from Tube trains to make it more pleasant a journey. All the ads in the carriage I was in (save one) had been removed.

Can't say I noticed it that much (there was a really hot girl stood opposite me :D) but I guess it may look a little nicer.

Still won't stop the District line being so abominably shit.

Thoughts?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tbh I'd rather they kept them. Tube ads can be quite entertaining, whereas the journey definitely isn't.
  • Options
    I'd rather they got rid of the dickheads that stand RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE DOOR WHEN I'M TRYING TO GET OFF THE GOD DAMN TRAIN.

That'd be nice.
  • Options
    Aww, they give you something vaguely interesting to look at while travelling :(
  • Options
    I like the adverts, give you something to look at when you cant stop staring at the weirdo across the carriage from you :D

I would much prefer it if they took the adverts out and replaced them with flat screen TV's. At least then you could still see Hollyoaks even though your stuck in some rat infested sewer for 1 hour.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Not sure I'd want Hollyoaks but might be nice to have something visual - few of the tube stations have replaced a lot adverts with art of poetry or prose - wouldn't mind seeing that rather than off-white possibly unwashed blank walls.

Mind you, will be funny watching people look up for adverts then take about a minute to realise their staring intently at a blank...
  • Options
    I think the adverts should stay if they generate revenue.
  • Options

I agree. Not only do they give us something to look at, but they must be earning plenty of money for TFL. I'd rather the companies wanting to advertising were spending the money, rather than Ken hiking up fares again.

I reckon either the advertisers pay, or the passengers on the tube pay.

No contest. :no:
  • Options
    I agree. Not only do they give us something to look at, but they must be earning plenty of money for TFL. I'd rather the companies wanting to advertising were spending the money, rather than Ken hiking up fares again.

:yes: Given the choice between my tube fare going up about 7% again or adverts, I'm with the adverts.
  • Options

:yes:
  • Options
    trains are a great canvas for art
  • Options

Actually, haven't Oyster charges gone down to 90p or so?
  • Options

They might have done - on the tube I think - but not on bus, and you still can't use them on trains on prepay. Also, not everyone has an Oyster. Either way, if TFL loses money through cutting adverts, it can't be a good thing for travellers.
  • Options

Even if they have, doesn't stop them recouping the money in other ways liek cutting back on improvements/maintenance...

As for the adverts, does it really make any difference? during rush hour you're wedged in like sardines and can't see the bloody things anyway.
  • Options

I think that's bus fares not tube fares.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    but not on bus, and you still can't use them on trains on prepay.

Which is something being implemented and something all TOC's must adhere to within the London zones by 2010.

The move I believe is to make them seem more 'high class' and more in line with the mainline train operating companies, there aren't many forms of public transport that contain as much advertising as the tube. Still it is going have an effect on TfL's overall income, I'm not entirely convinced its unrelated to the DfT giving them a nice chunk of subsidy for running the new London Overground rail franchise....
  • Options
    The ads are occasionaly interesting and very rarely annoying, if they bring in money they should definitely stay.
  • Options
    yeah there are plenty of other things they could do to make the journey more pleasant, some form of air con in the summer like any other civilised country would be a start.

prices will go up regardless, there's loads of advertising in the stations anyways so i doubt it'll make much difference....boy i'm so glad i don't have to do the tube commute, overground is bad enough lol.
  • Options
    some form of air con in the summer like any other civilised country would be a start..

Its just impossible to do though with the tiny tunnels which are just big enough for the trains as they are! I'm sure there is some fancy kind of cooling system set for the new stock thats gonna be on the Victoria Line.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Its just impossible to do though with the tiny tunnels which are just big enough for the trains as they are!

so i've heard, we can send a man to the moon and fit terabytes of data on a pinhead but we can't work out how to get aircon on a train? let's just go ask the japanese i'm sure they've got something.
  • Options
    We can fit it but you either lose about a foot of headroom etc in every carriage which wouldn't work, or you spend billions and billions making the tunnels bigger!
  • Options
    so i've heard, we can send a man to the moon and fit terabytes of data on a pinhead but we can't work out how to get aircon on a train? let's just go ask the japanese i'm sure they've got something.

The heat from the air con unit has to go somewhere as do the actual units. It's quite possible to add air con onto the tubes by making the tunnels bigger, however it would also mean closing down entire lines for months/years on end to be able to do it.

Just because it's possible it doesn't mean that it's viable.
  • Options

We know exactly how to get the air conditioning on the train, but because of the age of the London Underground it is financially unviable.

As JsT says, either we can spend a ridiculous sum making all the tunnels bigger, or we can make the trains 3' tall.

Either way, it's not feasible. The Japanese underground system is about 80 years older than the Tube, and as such they built the extra room into it then.

The only lines that could cope with the extra resources needed for air con are the high-level lines, like the District line, as they were built to full standard guage. And they're not the ones with the serious heat problems.

The problem with having the oldest tube system in the world is that it is the oldest tube system in the world. Most other countries built their systems much later- Brussels, for instance, only got its metro in 1976. Newcastle had one about the same time.
  • Options
    I find billboards to be an effective type of advertising, so I therefore think that the tube ads shouldn't be ditched. At the other end of the scale - banner/pop-up ads on the Internet. Ditch those!