Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Going to Get Fit?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm a 15 year old Boy, i'm looking to join a gym because there is a 6 week holiday for christmas (as you probably know). During this i want to get really built up and fit. But i haven't had a major growth spurt yet and am only about 160-170cm tall (i'm not sure haven't measured in a while), and i've been told by some adults that if i go to the gym and get fit i wont grow any more... I need to know if thats true? please help me out :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    There isn't a six week holiday?
  • Options
    I don't think he lives in the UK.
  • Options
    He said he was English in another post so I just assumed, carry on.
  • Options
    Pommie wrote: »
    I need to know if thats true?

:no:
    but lucky you getting 6 weeks off :(
  • Options
    Hi Rommie,

First of all, yes, considering you're only 15 excersizing with very heavy weights all the time might cause injuries because you're not fully developed yet. I'm not an excersize professional so I'd consult some health professional conserning this issues. However, excersizing with lighter weights to keep in shape shouldn't be an issue.

Second, have you had much excersize experience (with weights) before? By what I read it seems that you expect to go from zero experience to a well built state in 6 weeks, and that's not realistic. Getting fit is all about time, dedication and a suitable diet over many years. Not to say you won't have any results at all, because you might probably see some results in 6 weeks, just don't expect too much in the beginning.
    Starting out too hard is more likely to cause injuries.
  • Options
    Mate, now is THE BEST time EVER to get fit and hit the weights big time!

Your hormones are raging and your body is gagging to grow, hit the weights as well and as your growth spurts come you will explode mate and really set yourself a good strong base for adulthood, especially if you continue your training.

If you want to do it mate then do it, you won't regret it!