Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How do i know if ...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
... i have a learning disability.

I just keep thinking that maybe i do because i seem to need to be told things several times over before it sinks in. I feel like i am quite slow. I don't know if it is just me, or if there is something not quite right.

do you know if there is anyway to find out? or know for sure?

just would have thought that something would have been done by now if i did have something, since i'm 19.

Comments

• Options
    Are you in education at all? If so, you should be able to speak to your school, college or uni tutor aboutit and ask them how you can get referred for tests.

The Foundation for People With Learning Disabilities is a good place to start for information. Check out this page, which should help you get more help.

Hope it helps
  • Options
    Nutter wrote: »

I just keep thinking that maybe i do because i seem to need to be told things several times over before it sinks in. I feel like i am quite slow. I don't know if it is just me, or if there is something not quite right.

do you know if there is anyway to find out? or know for sure?

just would have thought that something would have been done by now if i did have something, since i'm 19.

Oh dear!! That sounds like Me!!
  • Options
    :) thanks. i'll look into it.

i know that there is a disability assessment they do at uni, but i didn't want to go through that unless i knew what i was going for, if you get me.
  • Options
    I've always had the impression that there's a difference between a learning disability and a learning difficulty.

It does actually say this on the website that spanner provided:
    Please note that the Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities does not work with people who only have difficulty learning certain skills, such as people with dyslexia who only have difficulty with reading and writing.

So it could be worth checking out websites on dyslexia and stuff too; because often that makes people feel that they're slow at picking information up too.

Do you always feel like you have to be told things more than once for them to sink in; or in certain situations?

I was diagnosed with mild dyscalculia when I was 13... it's never really held me back or anything but I take longer to get my head around things sometimes and needed extra help at school on occasion. (It's like dyslexia but with maths rather than reading/writing). It affects different areas as well as maths though... For example doing puzzles, remembering lists of information, following instructions and stuff like that.

When I was sent of a test they did an IQ test, logic puzzels, reading out loud and answering comprehension questions, sums and matching shapes up and stuff... it was quite fun in a way - but I came out with a headache cos some of it was quite hard. (Or I found it difficult anyway).

I've heard of quite a few people who've struggled through until they're an adult and then finally got a diagnosis of something which explained all the problems they'd had to cope with through their education. Teachers don't always pick up on individuals problems.

Good luck anyway. :)
  • Options
    If you have depression and / or anxiety problems this can cause the problems you mentioned. Sometimes it's not that you can't get to your memories it is that you can get them into your head in the first place if that makes sense.
  • Options
    good answers. yeh i've had problems like that but i'm trying to get past it now.
    i am really bad at maths and get really confused, i often find myself drifting off aswell if i don't understand something. meh, i don't know. we'll see.
  • Options
    Nutter wrote: »

you get tested