Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Please Read - S/H problem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:banghead:

Hey
I have been suffering with self harm for nearly a year now. My parents both know and so does the teachers at school. My mum has arranged an appointment at the doctors on thursday. I want to go but then i dont, i feel really embarresed and im scared of what he/she will say. I want to speak to someone but not with my mum present, i dont know why i dont want her there, its just awkward... it doesn't feel right talking to her... ever since i found out she made the appointment i have been cutting more, i really really want to stop, ive tried stopping around 6 times now but it just doesn't work, ive used ice, the pen, the 'butterfly project', punching a pillow, screaming and shouting, pinging and elastic band... nothing just seems to work. i've seen a councellor for around 5months but it didn't help, so i just stopped seeing her. I feel alone and embarresed, i just cant seem to open up and talk to someone, its really hard, i cant even talk to my boyfriend about it, and i trust him with all my heart. Have any of you got any idea on what the doctor will say to me or do?

please reply

x
im sorry if this post makes hardly no sense, im a bit panicky right now...

Comments

• Options
    You need to be honest with your doctor about what your doing and what triggers you. Show them your scars as well. Write down things if it helps you remember them, or think you might not know what to say. The more open you are with them they more they can help you.

Its good that your parents care enough about you to make a Dr's appointment but you mum doesnt have to go in with you dont wnat her to. Anything you do say to the Dr has to be treated with the strictest confidence, even if you are 16. They only time they can infom your parents is if they think you are a serious risk to yourself or others.
  • Options
    The doctor shouldn't judge you on what you are doing, and you should be pleased that you have a mum and a teacher who is looking out for you. If you're scared of speaking to the doctor write down what you feel in a letter and hand it to her.

Some doctors are more abrupt than others, so don't take it personally if all that happens is that you get prescribed pro\zac and get sent on your way. But there are some wonderful doctors out there too; mine showed me the best way of keeping my cuts clean because she knew just saying "don't do it" wouldn't work.
  • Options
    i might get prescribed pro/zac?

whats that?

x
  • Options
    It's a type of anti-depressant. I think the / is there to stop spambots. Hope your appointment goes well x
  • Options
    Hiya

Take a look at our factsheets on antidepressants and prozac to find out more about how they work.

Maybe you should try and be honest with your mum and tell her how you'd find it easier to be open if you went on your own? Maybe you could ask her to go with you and wait in the waiting room - that way, she'll feel involved and like you need her, but you can keep what you say to the doctor private?

It's good that your parents know about your self harm and that they're there to support you. Most of the time parents just want the best for you, you just have to be honest with them.

Good luck
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    It's a type of anti-depressant. I think the / is there to stop spambots.

Nah, it's 'cause my typing is bollocks :lol: