Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

energy drinks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
this may be in the wrong place.

i have been told by one person that drinking enegry drinks makes you gain weight (for obvious reasons) but i was told by another that it speeds up your digestion and you loose weight, i was just wondering if anybody knew the truth? im inclined to believe its the first one.

dont worry im not going to go on an extreme energy drink diet, i was just wondering.

Comments

• Options
    Not sure, but I'd always be suspicious of anything that has an ingredients list similar to what you'd find in a toxic dump. ;)

Normally if I want energy there and then I'll down a glass of smoothie or juice or something.
  • Options
    Energy drinks usually contain a lot of calories (for obvious reasons) so might make you gain wait.

It depends what you do with this extra energy though. If you go swimming and running marathons, you probably wont find yourself gaining weight, on the other hand if you chillin' on the couch with a vodka and red bull everynight it could cause you to put weight on.
  • Options
    energy drink is sugar + caffeine
    sugar = energy so makes you gain weight
    caffeine = a diuretic which makes you loose water from your body and speeds up your metabolism but i wouldn't say enough to significantly loose weight given its overly counteracted by the sugar content.
  • Options
    You can get diet red bull which has no sugar in it, so basically a caffeine and taurine drink, that'd speed up your metabolism and make you burn more energy. Really not so good for your cardiovascular system drinking shitlaods of the stuff though.
  • Options
    Caffeine will make your heart beat faster as it's a stimulant, and the taurene dilates your blood vessels, menaing your heart has to work harder again, as it has to pump a greater volume of blood to maintain the same bloodflow/pressure.
    It's why drinking red bull with alcohol is even worse as alcohol is a depressant.
  • Options
    Im getting really put off drinking the stuff now!!!

I drink the stuff almost everyday and when exams arise I drink it for at least 10 hours of the day.

Vodka redbull is my fave drink on a night out too, so I'm really considering cutting it right down now :no:
  • Options
    jelly tots wrote: »

Vodka redbull is my fave drink on a night out too, so I'm really considering cutting it right down now :no:

Haha yeah it's my favourite drink too. I've tried to cut down alot recently though.
    I had this fucked up red bull rip energy drink called 'Merlin' in a pub last night. It had loads of crazy pictures all over the can and tastes like banana.
  • Options
    I say just be careful. I use energy drinks very sparingly and depend on good nutrition instead. Once in a while is OK but I see a lot of guys getting absolutely frantic on the stuff. A bit scary at times.:eek:
  • Options
    You can get diet red bull which has no sugar in it, so basically a caffeine and taurine drink, that'd speed up your metabolism and make you burn more energy. Really not so good for your cardiovascular system drinking shitlaods of the stuff though.

I read in a magazine this weekend that it's pretty much impossible to speed up your metabalism using drinks and things like diet pills. The only way to really speed it up is through exercise and increasing muscle mass in your body, as muscle burns more calories that fat. So I wouldn't rely on energy drinks to speed up you metabolism.
  • Options
    Caffeine will make your heart beat faster as it's a stimulant, and the taurene dilates your blood vessels, menaing your heart has to work harder again, as it has to pump a greater volume of blood to maintain the same bloodflow/pressure.
    It's why drinking red bull with alcohol is even worse as alcohol is a depressant.

Ive always been weary of alcohol and redbull, when i was a kid someone told me a horror story that you would get cancer if you got it... now im older i realise its not true but i'm still weary of it.

My ex used to drink 4 red bull to wake him up if he had a late night before work... really bad i know!!
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    I read in a magazine this weekend that it's pretty much impossible to speed up your metabalism using drinks and things like diet pills. The only way to really speed it up is through exercise and increasing muscle mass in your body, as muscle burns more calories that fat. So I wouldn't rely on energy drinks to speed up you metabolism.

Well if your heart is working harder then you will be using mor energy through that if nothing else, so yes your metabolism will eb increased to cope with the extra demand you place on your body, common sense really.
    Diet pills, which i'm presuming containing some sort of amphetamine derivative, like ephedrine maybe, would do the same and also dampen down your appetite.
    Not saying it's a good idea, cos it isn't, just saying that it will have some sort of effect.
  • Options
    It does for a small amount of time, but alot of people think that the effect can be permenant. I used to think it was true, and drank a lot of energy drinks and took all sorts of diet pills. It's like eating spicy food I thought that did but it only does for a really short amount of time due to increase of core body temperature.

In the long run, like someone has said, energy drinks are crap as there is so much sugar in them and too much caffine isn't good for you.
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    It does for a small amount of time, but alot of people think that the effect can be permenant. I used to think it was true, and drank a lot of energy drinks and took all sorts of diet pills. It's like eating spicy food I thought that did but it only does for a really short amount of time due to increase of core body temperature.

In the long run, like someone has said, energy drinks are crap as there is so much sugar in them and too much caffine isn't good for you.

Which is exactly what I have been saying too...

In the end it's people wantig a shortcut to losing weight when they'd have been better off just doing the sensible thing, eat less/better and do some excercise!
  • Options
    Sorry I didn't read it properly at first. Read it again after making the first post and you did pretty much say the same :)
  • Options
    dunno about weight loss but I can't imagine large doses of this would be good for you.
  • Options
    Ive always been weary of alcohol and redbull, when i was a kid someone told me a horror story that you would get cancer if you got it... now im older i realise its not true but i'm still weary of it.

My ex used to drink 4 red bull to wake him up if he had a late night before work... really bad i know!!

Oh how did he do that! When I used to drive to visit my parents (400 miles) I'd have about 3 or 4 and a couple coffee's and I'd shake the rest of the night (though I never realized it, apperantly I was real annoying to be close to) and just lay awake exausted but unable to sleep! It was pure torture (and thats why I did it every time :p) They all taste like crap anyways. I was reading a while ago, most energy drinks don't contain any more caffiene than coffee or pop anyways. (of course the link I had no longer works)
  • Options
    I find a couple of cans of diet red bull can be very handy before an intensive exercise routine like a game of squash or something.. but for me I always get heart burn and it repeats on me so it's got its down points..

Ephedrine again is good and does speed up metabolism etc but then it's a stimulant at the end of the day, so it depends how your body agrees with them.

For me, I am hyper-sensitive and even a can or two of coke can leave me crash off the caffeine and feeling like shit! Once I did ephedrine for 6 months straight and I couldn't get out of bed for a week almost when I came off!

Anyway, to the actual 'energy' drinks like lucozade etc, these are good to have POST work-out, ie. the simple fast acting carbs rush into the body and replenish glycogen stores.. only if you haven't got a more suitable alternative to hand though..
  • Options
    Ephedrine again is good and does speed up metabolism etc but then it's a stimulant at the end of the day, so it depends how your body agrees with them.

I'm not surprised you felt like that after doing ephedrine for that long. I'd personally feel less ill if i was doing actual speed rather than lots of ephedrine!
  • Options
    Yeah it was a horrible time, but I work shifts including 12 hour nights so I kind of needed them in the end to even function lol.. bleh ..

Haven't taken any since back then actually, may have a crack sometime in the future see how I get on with them for a pre-workout boost.
  • Options
    Oh how did he do that! When I used to drive to visit my parents (400 miles) I'd have about 3 or 4 and a couple coffee's and I'd shake the rest of the night (though I never realized it, apperantly I was real annoying to be close to) and just lay awake exausted but unable to sleep! It was pure torture (and thats why I did it every time :p) They all taste like crap anyways. I was reading a while ago, most energy drinks don't contain any more caffiene than coffee or pop anyways. (of course the link I had no longer works)

I know, i tryed to tell him to stop. Ive had more than one to try stay awake a few times and i didnt think it worked until i got all shaky and couldnt sleep.